1010c slipped a track

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
bhjones
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010c slipped a track

Post by bhjones » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:58 pm

Evening everyone. So I've purchased my first crawler a week or so ago. It's a 62 ish jd 1010c gas. It run out pretty well and I'm happy with it for the job at hand (clearing land for a shop). While running it today I had the right track slip off the idler. It's still on the sprocket. Since this happened just before dark I've not had a chance to do anything with it yet, but this is what I'm thinking I'll do. Please advise if I'm making this harder on myself than need be.

I plan on getting the right side up with the blade a bottle jack and some cribbing, then loosen the track adjuster and use a come along to retract the idler. Then I was going to pry the track back into place and readjust the track.

Once the right track is set I plan on adjusting the left as well. Then I'll go over the dozer again and see to anything that is in need of attention.

Any tips, am I going about this all wrong? The tracks were a bit loose when I got it, but I was waiting for the service manual to come in (order it through JD) before I made the adjustments. I looks pretty simple, but I wanted to make sure I did it right.

Thanks.

country53
440 crawler
440 crawler

1010c slipped a track

Post by country53 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:03 am

Taking the master pin out of the track and getting the pin hole close to the ground and using a drift to help line the hole up always helped me.

Check your front idler for play when they get worn they will throw a track

bhjones
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by bhjones » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:46 pm

Well I got lucky. There was no need to split the track. I was able to back off the adjuster and using the come along get the track up on top of the idler. Then, with the right side jacked up I ran just the right track and it slipped the rest of the way around.

It was a lot of work though. 3-4 hours, by myself. Both tracks are now properly adjusted and everything is greased.