My 1955 40c

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
deereman_85
MC crawler
MC crawler

My 1955 40c

Post by deereman_85 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:44 pm

First off I am sorry the files are so big, I tried reducing them but they turned out really bad and had splotches of all different colors all over the place.

Here is what I do know, this is a 1955 5 roller 40c serial #714**. I was wondering if anyone could tell how good of shape the tracks on this crawler are. I am in college and purchased it a few years ago for just a little over $900.00. I know the idler on the left side needs to be replaced. I have not taken it out of the neighbors shed for 2 years but I just started it up again the other day and it still runs well. The left side track does not drive I was wondering if anyone could give my some possible things to look for. I know there is way too much sag in the tracks as well. I think this is adjusted by the spring tensioner, am I correct on this? If so what direction do the nuts need to be turned to get it to tighten. The fuel cap got robbed off of it by my father because he lost the one off of our 3010, thats the neighbors 4020 in the one picture though. I would appreciate anything anyone can tell me what they think I may need to get it back into proper working order and how much life they think is left on the tracks.

Thank you,
Justin

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:50 pm

Judging by how far the idler brackets are out on the trackframe, I am afraid you are quite a ways out of spec as far as the pins and bushings. In one of the pics it looks like the sprockets are getting thin on the flanges, but no sense doing anything with that until you get the tracks rebushed.
Not driving on the one side could be as little as an adjustment, or as bad as a broken component. Look for factory parts and service manuals if you don't already have them.
Good looking old girl, nice find.
Lavoy

deereman_85
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by deereman_85 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:11 am

I have not gotten around to getting the factory parts and service manuals. I usually do not think about it when I am at the two cylinder club shows. I am usually too busy trying to find a hood for my John Deere H. I do have one manual I purchased off of ebay its not a John Deere one its one someone else put out. But lately the bug has hit me to get the crawler working right the only problem is I am not able to afford parts for it until I go back to my internship this next summer, but then I am planning on at least getting the tracks rebushed. Dad and I thought that it needed to be done but were not sure. Do you know what that would cost to A have someone do it and B if I was able to find the correct equipment at work what it would cost for the bushings and what kind of press is needed to press them in?

Thanks,
Justin
My old two cylinders are:
1940 John Deere H
1951 John Deere A
1955 John Deere 40c
1960 John Deere 630

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:21 pm

Pins and bushings are around $8/link give or take, labor in the $350 range.
It requires a track press to do it, so unless you work at a dealership, or a contractor that owned a press with small Deere tooling, you will need to have it done.
Lavoy