I am looking for advice before I make a decision on a 1010

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Ashell
420 crawler
420 crawler

I am looking for advice before I make a decision on a 1010

Post by Ashell » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:02 pm

Hi I have never posted here before but I am hoping that you can help me make an educated decision. 2 weeks ago I decided that on a whim I want a piece of equipment to clear a few trees, dig ditches, straighten up a bad driveway, then eventually prepare my hillside for a new home hopefully with a basement. About 1/2 a mile from the house I saw a Deere Crawler loader so I stopped and looked it over. When I was checking it out I asked the owner what year it was. He said it was a 66. With a quick google search I saw that jd 350's started production in 1966 so impulsively I gave him $500 to hold it until I could come up with the other $6500.

Long story short I have now discoverd that it is a JD 1010 gaser with a backhoe, loader attachment and a 4 in 1 Drott bucket for $7000

Now I have a new Google search. I am concerned that maybe an antique piece of equipment is not the way to go since parts are not as available as more recent equipment. I have 2 options I can continue with with my deal hope the sprockets are good enough to get my job done and then sell it to a collector or give up on my $500 and look for a 350.

If anybody is interested i can post pics.

I am not asking for decisions just opinions.
Thank you
Alan
I dunno what I'm doin but I'm doin what I know.

196? 2010 with model 50 backhoe and Drott 4 in 1 bucket

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:20 pm

Seems like a lot of money for a 1010 but it does have a backhoe and loader with a 4n1 bucket so it might be a pretty useful machine if it's running reasonably well.

If you post some pictures, there's a bunch of folks on here that can give you a rough assessment on the undercarriage. Look for welds where don't belong like in the middle of casings. Check for water in the engine oil and run the hydraulics around.

You can put 350 tracks on a 1010 with the 350 weld on sprocket rims. Altogether, a 350 would be a better machine in terms of parts availability but other than the sprockets, I've had pretty good luck finding almost every other part. It seems like you have a bit of an honesty problem with the seller if he's representing the thing as a 350. Does sort of make you wonder what else isn't as represented.

Just my thoughts.
Bill Wattson

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:02 pm

It is really hard to value something withoug being right there, but off the cuff, that is pretty steep for a 1010. Especially since you have no particular desire just to own a 1010, it is just going to be a tool for you. That being said, the 350 is a better crawler, and parts availability will be substantially better.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:02 am

These guys are the "experts" on this but I will give you my $0.02 as someone who was in your position a year or two ago with little knowledge about the JD crawlers.I had a similar decision to make when I purchased my 2010 diesel crawler loader (slightly bigger machine than the 1010 with a little more HP). Mine came with a Model 50 backhoe attachment but nothing more.

If you have no desire to really keep the crawler (either as a collectible or for a long-term farm machine), then I think you really need to evaluate whether you really want to buy this machine or not. Even though there are some neat aspects to this 1010 (such as the Drott 4in1 bucket) you will probably have a hard time recouping your investment. You can pay for rental time of some much better suited equipment to do the things you want if all you are looking to do is get your work done and sell it.

While these smaller crawler machines like the 1010 are pretty handy, I can tell you from experience that they can't do a lot of bigger jobs quickly and there is a point at which they just can't do the work safely (like very large tree removal).I ended up renting a new larger crawler loader to do my major tree clearing and grading for my new residence and then purchasing my 2010 to do the fine grading and miscellanoeus work on my own schedule and as a long-term light-duty farm machine, mainly to work on my woodlot. At least with a rental you have peace of mind to know that a replacement is forthcoming if soemthing goes wrong- you may really be in a bind if you are on a schedule and soemthing breaks on that 1010 right after you start using it, especially if it is something like undercarriage where some parts are no longer available.

Like Lavoy said, the 350 models have better parts availability and the parts are generally cheaper but it can still be thousands of dollars if the engine or transmission goes.

If I were you, I would start by assessing your needs in detail (tree size, ground conditions, size of job, etc.) and then decide if you really want to use a smaller crawler. Like I said, you can rent bigger newer equipment (multiple pieces) and get the job done quicker for the same price of that 1010. If you are trying to buy the 1010 and then sell it to get the work done free, I think most of us can tell you that's a gamble if something major breaks and usually nothing about these older crawlers is cheap (other than maybe fuel usage). Also you will likely not get your full purchase price back anyways, so you will in effect be losing a little money which could have gone towards a new machine rental.

I am not trying to talk you out of the purchase on you but want you to be well informed so you can make a good decision (unlike I was at the time) and are here to give our advice about that if you want it. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Ashell
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Ashell » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:04 pm

Ashell
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Ashell » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:07 pm

Hmm wonder what I did wrong on my end I will try again tommorrow to post some pictures.

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:39 am

I can't get it to work for you either. I've had good luck with Photobucket.
Bill Wattson

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:28 am

I pasted it into my Photobucket account so we could take a look.

I can see that it looks like a Model 50 (non-sliding) backhoe and I don't see any major welds on the boom like on mine. It'll be hard to tell much at that distance about the condition of the undercarriage.; it does look like the right track is too tight (which means it has a good adjuster) and it looks like there may still be a little adjustment room on the track frame which is an encouraging sign. It would be nice to get some closup shots of the undercarriage (adjuster, idler, sprockets, rollers) for us to give you better advice. Also get some pics of the "clam" on the 4in1 bucket (should meet straight without a fishmouth) and the backhoe.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

K LeClair
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by K LeClair » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:51 pm

I dont know about you guys but I sure do believe that is a 2010 pictured??Look how far the tracks/undercarriage go back past the seat.My 1010's undercarriage is shorter,almost even with back of seat.Either that or the seat on this machine is moved WAY forward??? Keith
Last edited by K LeClair on Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1010 Diesel,Crawler loader,Hydraulic Winch
350B Diesel,6-Way Blade

K LeClair
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by K LeClair » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:00 pm

I take it back.That is DEFINITELY a 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!
1010 Diesel,Crawler loader,Hydraulic Winch
350B Diesel,6-Way Blade

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:17 pm

I think you're right, looks like a 2010.
Lavoy

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:04 pm

As it is a 2010 that may have not been that bad a deal .Back the track adjuster off a bit she is singing tight though !.The 4in1 is worth a bit extra and the hoe is in fair condition .If you purchase it don't be upset about a deal like that I have seen a hell of a lot worse than that for more coin than 6500 bucks .Digitup.

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:23 pm

I went and looked at the other pictures posted and you can see that the final drives are angled back rather than straight up and down like a 1010. I've never seen a 2010 but it seems to match what Lavoy has described before. The sprockets don't look too bad and altogether it seems like a reasonable buy for a mmachine of that class.

You've still got the parts problems of these particular crawlers but a heavier machine like that with the 4n1 and backhoe would be a very nice find less any significant issues that you can't see in the pictures.
Bill Wattson

Ashell
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Ashell » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:10 am

It is obvious that I do not know what I am looking at could you suggest where I might find the serial numbers so I can be sure which one it is?

And thank you all for your help I really needed some advice and you all have been great. :)

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:01 am

If it is a later model, the serial number will be on a tag on the top left side (sitting in the seat) at about 10:30 where the engine and bell housing meet. Thats if it is still there. :)
Stretch
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.