bottom part of muffler gets cherry red

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
joe
40C crawler
40C crawler

bottom part of muffler gets cherry red

Post by joe » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:22 pm

:D hi everyone i started my 420 the other day for the first time in about six months in the 20 minutes or so it ran it seem to stuble and pop like it was loading up the third time it did it i looked and the short pipe and the bottom of the muffler were cherry red. was wondering if it was just loading up with gas or is it the timing off i looked in my owners manual and the picture of the distributor shows the connector for the wire from the coil to the distributor is facing out towards the tracks mine is facing in towards the block . is my timing 180 degrees out .and wouldn't switching the plug wires work to get it back in .it starts fairly easy for a six volt system . i just bought this machine 6 months ago and only ran it about 2 or three hours before shutting it down becuase the hydrualic valve leaked so bad . just gettin her back together and running again

mailtrain@usadatanet.net
MC crawler
MC crawler

red muffler

Post by mailtrain@usadatanet.net » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:47 pm

hi Joe If it was 180 out it wouldn't run. Could be water in the gas,or running rich. Depends how hard you were running at the time too.Maybe cleaning the plugs might help.Points could need gapping too. There are a lot of variables. Mailtrain

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:50 pm

Joe,
I would think it is just running rich. I just rebuilt the carb on the 420 which at idle was missing and backfireing. It was leaking down fuel, the throttle shaft was loose and it would flood very easily if you used more than a secound of choke when starting it.
Now it just putts along at idle, you need to use the choke when cold and there is no more raw fuel leaking out of the air intake.

Lavoy,
Thanks for the kit, By the way the gasket between the carb and the intake was too small so I used the old one. The fuel line was a firemans dream so it got replaced also.

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

joe
40C crawler
40C crawler

muffler gets cherry red

Post by joe » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:00 am

:D thanks for the reply mailtrain and celsesser. i kinda thought it might be loading up wasn't running her hard just put a new hydraulic valve and all new hoses and was just running it bleeding the hydraulic system out. i did have a hard time gettin her fired up becuase it wasn't gettin any spark cleaned the points and plugs the best i could with honeys nail file. turned her over a couple times with the plugs out to blow the cylnders out once the loader started workin like it should i did crank the throatle wide open and kept workin the hydraulic valve . this is my first green machine and don't know a thing about her. this sites a blessing. i'll see if i can't make a few adjust ments on the carb and see if i can melt the muffler clear off :D thanks again for the replys they are greatly appreciated joe

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:36 am

Make sure to check your timing, retarded timing will do the same thing. If you are building that much heat, it can be hard on valves, I would get to the bottom of the problem before I worked it too much.

Chuck,
Sorry about the gasket, I have singles on hand if you need one let me know.
Lavoy

joe
40C crawler
40C crawler

bottom of muffler gets cherry red

Post by joe » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:56 pm

:D thanks for the reply lavoy i will make it apoint to check the timing before i fire her up again .thanks again for the reply it is greatly appreciated joe

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:05 pm

I don't know about JD, but I have seen other equipment run with the distributor 180 degrees out. They run very hot.
Just my two cents.
Stretch
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.