1010 steering clutch adjustment

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
garymac
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010 steering clutch adjustment

Post by garymac » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:56 pm

I am installing rebuilt steering clutches on a 1010 and cannot get the release levers to adjust properly. I have the correct # of frictions and steels, but cannot get the levers adjusted to meet the gauge. I can get within 1/8", but run out of threads on the adjusting bolts. I end up with the jam nut against the head of the bolt before the lever will touch the gauge. When installed, there is no way to make it work, the throwout bearing doesn't have enough travel (most of the travel is used up in that 1/8") The right side worked out okay with the adjusting bolts all the way in, but still was off by 1/16". I just can't get the left side to work at all. The clutch drums were replaced, but are identical to the originals. Has anyone encountered this before? :(

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:10 pm

Gary,are you using new steel and fiber discs,if the steels are a little rusty or the fibers a little swollen or puffy,it will change the finger adjustment alot,the clutches I have done have been very easy to dial in with the gauge.
1010 loader

garymac
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by garymac » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:47 am

All of the discs are new. After speaking with Lavoy, it seems that the slight difference between his JD-7 and the original is where my difference is and it should work fine (as it did on the right side). Upon closer inspection, the release fork shaft and lever have been repaired sometime in the past and the angles are off enough to cause my problem. A new shaft and lever should fix me up! I was able to scrounge a lever from my 350 stash, and may have a new shaft made locally. Thanks!

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

clutch adjustment

Post by mini kahuna » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:36 pm

yeah,it sure doesn't take much to throw the adjustment out,my 1010 had bent throwout linkage,someone must have used two hands and just yanked and yanked till it was bent :roll: ,bet they had a sore back after.
the entire clutch was rusted into one part,it was useless to yank at the handle.
glad you figured out your problem,good job.
1010 loader