Another 1010C Question

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Howard Weeks
MC crawler
MC crawler

Another 1010C Question

Post by Howard Weeks » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:41 pm

I recently bought a 1010C from a family member in East Texas. It is a gasser and runs and moves but has a stuck left steering clutch. Have practically nothing in it and trying to decide if it is worth moving to Georgia where I live.

It is equipped with a 6 way manual blade - guess that may be a 63.

Does anyone have any opinion on what it might cost to transport? The distance is exactly 800 miles one way. Just looking for a general idea!

I would like to bring it here and tear into it - but it is still somewhat a "black hole" in terms of what it might need.

If I do bring it out here, I plan to restore it and use it some around the place.
Howard Weeks
Harlem, Ga

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:30 pm

lots of times you can hook up with a truck on a return trip or split the cost with someone hauling something the other way.
what kind of shape is the machine overall,the undercarriage is the most costly thing to repair/replace.
1010 loader

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:33 pm

Howard,

I'm thinking about $1.50 to $2.00 per loaded mile the last time I checked but it seems like you can always do better if you happen to catch a return trip as mentioned.

An inside frame manual 6-way blade on a 1010 is a 610. It uses most of the same parts as a 63 but the lift frames are different. It looks to me like the pivot point on a 63 is set a bit further back than a 1010's 610 frame and different cylinders are used. The width is the same but the 440 and 1010 probably have different weight distributions and perhaps a different spacing between the front and rear cross bars.
Bill Wattson

Howard Weeks
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010C

Post by Howard Weeks » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:08 pm

Appreciate the feedback on that thing!

I have never owned a dozer but have been around a few of them. All means nothing since I am sure I wouldn't know a good track system from a bad one if it was biting me in the rear. The sprockets look reasonably good - not worn down to points or nubs yet. The cleats on the track are not worn at all.
They are tight and where the front idler rides on the track rail, it appears to have about another 4 - 5 inches of adjustment space left (hope that makes sense).

The blade is in good condition. Has a Weherhouser Lumber Co sticker on it. Nothing mounted on the rear other than a big shop built heavy duty hitch. Supposedly been setting for quite a few years with the stuck steering clutch.

If I can get it moved for under $2000 or so, I may move it to GA and spend some time on it. I have been restoring wheeled tractors for a number of years. This would be a new experience for sure.
Howard Weeks
Harlem, Ga

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:45 pm

if you can get it home for 2000 and rebuild that stuck clutch,the clutch parts are easy to get from Lavoy,it might be a decent machine for you around the home.
you have experience with old tractor repair,this crawler will be similar for you to work on and repair yourself.
because you have worked on old machines,you already know the part hunting and such,the 1010 crawler is no different,I think you will enjoy getting that crawler back on it's feet again.
1010 loader

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:15 pm

Howard,
Friend of mine runs that area several times per year, I know he would be now where near $2000, especially if you can wait a little bit til he can add it to a load.
Lavoy

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:13 am

I had one moved a few months ago from Texas and it cost about $800.00 on 1200 miles. The machine ran but wouldn't steer very well. The company was Hotshot express a div of Jones Motor. You can call Jones and they will put you in contact with a local agent. Hope this helps.
Stretch
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.