Rebuilding Steering Clutches on JD440

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jd440
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jd440 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:58 pm

Hello,

I am rebuilding the steering clutches on my 1958 JD440IC. The left side slips and the right side won't release. I am starting with the left side first.

When I removed the left steering clutch assembly, I found that it had 7 metal plates and 7 fibre disks. I have a photocopy of a page from the parts manual which shows this unit should have 6 plates and 7 fibre disks. I am guessing that they added another metal plate so that they wouldn't have to adjust the pressure plate.

I am going to wire brush the metal plates and reuse them, but I will need replacements for some of the fibre disks as their spline teeth have been stripped. I will also need some information on the tool that is used to set the pressure plate after the clutch has been reassembled.

Any tips on how I should proceed would be greatly appreciated, as the JD service manual is rather vague.

Thanks

Derek (JD440)

jd440
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jd440 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:07 pm

Hello again,

I just checked out my throw-out bearing for the left steering clutch and it needs to be replaced.

Do you have a replacement in stock Lavoy? If so, what is the JD part number and price? I like to keep track of part numbers, so it easier to order replacement parts next time.

Thanks,

Derek (jd440)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:25 am

Derek,
Most 440's had 7 fiber, 6 steel, later ones had more.
I have all the steering clutch parts on hand, let me know what you need.
Throwout bearing has had several different numbers, one is AL2116T.
I have clutch finger gauges as well.
FIber discs are $20/each
Throwout bearing is $15
Clutch gauge is $10
Lavoy

jd440
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jd440 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:04 am

Hello Lavoy and others,

I have 2 quick questions.

First, I am having trouble removing the steering clutch drive shaft from the final drive shaft. Is there a trick to this? Of course the clutch is fully disassembled and all the plates removed.

Second. Lavoy, are your replacement clutch parts made in the U.S.? Living in Canada, I have to deal with Customs everytime I order a part from the U.S.A.. If they are made in the States, I don't have to pay tariffs on the parts - just taxes. Also, can you ship through the mail? This reduces the cost of the customs brokers.

Thanks,

Derek (JD440)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:16 pm

Derek,
On the shaft, wiggle and pull, wiggle and pull. If all else fails, remove the snap ring, and pull the splined hub off and you may be able to pry under the shaft. It should not come out that hard.
On the discs, I don't think they are made in US, but they have already been imported to US, so the customs should be the same.
Either way, there are ways around what you are talking about.
Mail is no problem, unfortunately they charge a flat fee no matter how far you are from me. Kind of stupid if you ask me.
Lavoy

jd440
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jd440 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:08 pm

Hi Lavoy,

I found a local John Deere mechanic that has experience with the JD440IC - in fact he owned one. He looked at the clutch pieces and gave me his opinion.

He said that we can salvage most of the parts except one metal disk and one fibre disk. He also recommended replacing the pressure plate assembly, as parts are not available through John Deere. He said that the springs in the pressure plate assembly softened when they were overheated, and it would be best to replace them. Also, the fingers were worn.

I would like to get your opinion of the pressure plate assembly. Photos of pressure plate assembly are shown below:

Are individual parts still available for the pressure plate assembly?

Is is possible to test the springs to see if they are okay? I can get access to a spring tester but I need to know the free length of the spring (unloaded) and the spring factor (lb/inch).

Thanks for your help with this. If I can minimize the number of parts I need to replace, I can afford repairs elsewhere on the crawler - like the right-side steering clutch.

I am preparing my shopping list to be sent to you. All I need now is to ensure that the pressure plate works okay.

Thanks,

Derek (JD440)