1010c advice

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

1010c advice

Post by townlineterry » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:45 am

Hi everyone, new member here, and I have alot of questions.
Bought a 1010c two years ago first let me say this is w working machine, use in my logging and excavation business, not every day, but pretty close. After two years of trouble free operation it needs some work. Major thing is the right steering clutch froze up. It sat on a job in the rain for a week and the tarp blew off. Bad move.
I'm waiting on the shop manual before we tear into it, but any advise, tricks or input would be appreiciated.
Also, the hydralic tensioners both blew out the seals, thinking of replacing them with mechanial ones. I'm thinking the yokes would also m
need replaced, anybody know for sure?
The winch is not original but the guy I bought the crawler from has it. He replaced it because it stopped working. Gearmatic, I belive, are parts for it still around?
I was told JD made a log arch for the 1010, if anybody has one for sale I'd be interested.
My machine has manual blabe, was going to convert it to hydrualic useing compents from Nothern Tool, unless I could find one at a reasonable price.
Last question, parts availability? Our local Deere dealer isn't to thrilled about order parts,they want to sell me a new machine. I understand Lavoy has parts, but I live in western Pa. so shippping on heavy stuff is a killer, anybody know a more local source?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Terry

JD430C
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by JD430C » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:59 pm

hello terry, i have parted out 3 1010s so i have some parts, but i think shipping from here would still be way too expensive. i have a 440 with manual tightners, i am gonna replace them with hyd. in my opinion the hyd are so much better, u might want to look into rebuilding them. some gearmatic parts are available, but are getting harder to find. JD made the 150 arch for use with the gearmatic winch, it went on the 420, 430, and 440. i dont know if it will fit the 1010. the jd 350 and 3500 arch will fit the 1010 if u have the JD winch.

andrew
jds- 450B, 450C, 550, 4020, 3140 MFWD, 5200 MFWD

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:38 pm

Thanks Andrew, I go to a conference in Amherst Mass. every August so if you had something that I didn't need right away I could possibly pick it up, any excuse to extend the vacation.
I have since read elsewhere that on the tensioners it is possible to recut the groove and use a seal from a 350. This is supposed to solve the problem, has anyone tried this?

Terry

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:28 pm

I think you will find that if you hone the bores and put new cups in your adjusters, they will be fine.
Lavoy

M38A1
MC crawler
MC crawler

steering clutch

Post by M38A1 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:15 am

Hi I bought my 1010 with a steering clutch problem. It wasn't a bad job at all. I used a ball joint press to sepaeate the track removed the sprocket and the final drive has to be rotated back and up to come off . The clutches are behind the pressure plate . All I had to do is clean mine and they work perfectly . Measure them before you reinstall them to be sure. I can look up the specs if you need them. Hope this helps.