1959 440 Chains and Pads

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
frsanford
40C crawler
40C crawler

1959 440 Chains and Pads

Post by frsanford » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:54 pm

Thankyou Lavoy for answering my question on the hollow pins in the Final drive and Drawbar unit....just like you said...I pried the housing apart with a chisel and it came out fine.
One more question if I might, I have a chance to pick up a used set of chains and street pads for my 440 from a 350....the seller says they will fit....he's done it before....the pins are slightly larger diameter he says but they will work fine if my sprocket is a little worn, which it is. Does this pass muster with you? He wants $700.00
Again, thankyou for a GRRRREAT SITE!!!!!!!!!!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:35 pm

I have mixed emotions on this point. Yes, if your sprockets are quite worn, they will work. The problem I see is if your sprockets are that worn, they will be close to the flanges chipping off and wearing on the bushings. Also, if the pins and bushings are new in the rails you are looking at, there is a substantial difference as far as them fitting than if they are worn. Will they fit, sure they will go on the crawler. Will they work, sure it will drive, and you may not notice anything at all. Are they going to work correctly, that is questionable. The problem I have with this whole thing is that I see way too many guys tell people that you just bolt them on, they will be fine, no problems, works great, done it a hundred times, nothing to worry about, etc., etc. It is not a simple one answer question, there are more things to consider.
Now, that being said, if you re-rim your sprockets with 350 rims, then they will work just fine. The price sounds reasonable, but I would measure the pitch to see how worn the pins and bushings are. If they are due for pins and bushings, then not so good a deal.
Lavoy