1010C foot brake adjustment

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
EdK
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010C foot brake adjustment

Post by EdK » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:52 pm

I'm in the process of adjusting the foot brake on my 1010C and the linkage rods were cut and welded at different lenghts which adds to the confusion, the manual says to move the pedal forward to the stop and pull the rods forward to the end of their slots and adjust the clevis so the pin just slides in. I'm assuming forward is towards the radiator with the pedal depressed is that correct? Also the track tensioners are hydraulic and the manual says I need a special grease gun that comes with the tractor which I do not have, what's the deal with the special grease gun? Thank's

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:07 am

ED,

The brake petal should be all the way back against its "at rest" stop, not forward as you stated when you pull the slack out of the rod(forward toward the radiator) to adjust the clevis to fit. This takes ths slop out of the brakes.The right clevis is a slip fit and I believe the left clevis adjustment is one half turn tighter than slip fit to get the brakes to work together.

As to the grease fitting, it is a boutton head fitting the same as is used on the track rollers. they are shaped that way to resist breakage especially on the rollers. You can get the gun fitting at JD or NAPA. The special grease gun is a low pressure gun that was used to pump heavy wieght oil into the rollers under low pressure so you wouldn't blow out the shaft seals. I use corn head grease in a regular gun with the button head fitting and am careful not to put too much pressure on it.

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:04 pm

Ditto on everything Chuck said about the brake adjustment. As far as the grease gun goes I use a good ( Alemite ) standard hand pump style on everything. With the track tensioners you are just going to pump till you get the correct tension on the tracks. On everthing else I grease I will pump till I feel a higher resistance to the handle and I stop. I have not blown out any seals as of yet. :) I do this on front idlers, top rollers, etc.
You can definitly feel the difference.
Hope this helps.
Stretch
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.