1010 final drive assembly

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
stmftr395
440 crawler
440 crawler

1010 final drive assembly

Post by stmftr395 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:05 am

May be kind of late to ask this question as I bolted up the first final last night, but better late than never. What type of sealer is the best to use for the steering clutch and final drive cases. The manual indictes laquer, but I have been using a thin coat of atv blue. Anybody got any thoughts on this? Thanks Mark

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:33 pm

I think basically anything will work. I have put most of mine together with nothing, and I have worked in water over top of the hyd reservoir and not gotten a drop of water in the clutch housing.
Lavoy

stmftr395
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by stmftr395 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks Lavoy; That makes me feel a little bit better about my assembly job.

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:50 pm

Blue permatix is one of the best sealers you can use. I use it on alot of gaskets or I will use in place of a gasket. If the area to be sealed is critical add a little bit of moisture to it to aid in sealing.
Stretch
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:43 pm

Yep blue silicone is pretty good stuff. It gets used a lot in truck rearends and other places where you don't usually have a gasket to work with.

russ61
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by russ61 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:21 am

Becareful where you use the blue , not long term oil resistant.Use the RTV black.Just remember ,blue/water,black/oil.
Russ

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:50 pm

Also be careful on what you use because most silicone sealers have acid in them to aid in the curing process. I had a Permatex rep demo putting a gob of the blue stuff in the bottom of a clean small jar and then added a few new nuts and bolts and then put the lid on tight. Within a day the new nuts and bolts were all rusted up. The acidic fumes also play hell on O2 sensors on newer gas engines.
I use Loctite Gasket Eliminator (I believe the # is 518) for my machine surface mating joints. Eaton used it on transmission cases for years.
Don
Eastern PA
440IC (1960)

olrobk

Post by olrobk » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:50 am

See below.
Last edited by olrobk on Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

olrobk

Post by olrobk » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:15 am

Another excellent discussion on this great site. I did some research on RTV. I have taken apart a few engines that failed because some dope squirted red, blue or black RTV everywhere. It bled through inside and pieces broke off after some use by the customer. They blocked an oil passage for instance, or a water passage ... and boom. No more engine.

What Hunter41 says about RTV's acidic content is true. Loctite's Gasket Eliminator is also Permatex's "The Right Stuff".

My supplier carries Permatex "The Right Stuff" that can be found in all kinds of forms. See http://www.permatex.com/brand_right_stuff.htm

Loctite bought Permatex but 2001 Permatex itself back from Loctite. In 2004, Permatex was bought by ITW (Illinois Tool Works). Loctite became part of Henkel, the German adhesives outfit that makes Right Guard deodorant, Combat rat killer and Purex soaps. See below if you care how this happened. There will be a quiz next Friday.

The Permatex product line was expanded and the company continued to prosper. In 1972, the Permatex Company was sold to Loctite Corporation. The business was moved to Cleveland Ohio and integrated with the Woodhill Chemical Company.

In the late 1970's Woodhill Permatex launched Permatex Blue Silicone which went on to become the largest selling blister carded chemical item in the American auto parts business. In August 1980, the Woodhill Permatex division moved to a brand new 175,000 square foot facility with over 100 employees.

In February 1990, DL Banite, Inc., America's oldest manufacturer of waterless hand cleaners became a part of the Permatex line. Later that year, Permatex launched Fast Orange® citrus hand cleaners, which is now a core Permatex product line

Permatex was purchased by a group of private investors in 1999. As a private company in 2000, Permatex introduced an unprecedented fifty new products, acquired the No Touch® tire care line, bought the Loctite Mexican Hardware Business, and purchased the NOS® (Nitrous Oxide Systems) fuel and fluid additive and treatment product lines.

In January of 2001 Permatex finalized on the acquisition of the Permatex International Business from Loctite. In 2002, Permatex re-entered the industrial market with a broad range of products including its proprietary waterless hand cleaners; silicone-based sealant and gasketing materials, anaerobic adhesives, epoxies, lubricants and other specialty chemicals.

In December of 2004 Permatex was acquired by ITW (Illinois Tool Works Inc.), a NYSE listed US based corporation. ITW was founded in 1912 and is a Fortune 200 diversified manufacturing company with more than a 90 year history. ITW's 650 decentralized business units in 45 countries employ nearly 49,000 people focused on creating value-added products and innovative customer solutions.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:19 am

Way back in my automotive days, Permatex came out with "sensor safe" RTV's. Back then, O2 sensors were coming in to widespread use, and it was discovered that the regular RTV's were damaging them. All of the "Ultra" sealers, like Ultra Copper, Ultra Blue, and Ultra Red are all sensor safe.
As for the Right Stuff, I have been using a little of that from time to time.
Lavoy

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:54 pm

There are soom good sealers from Valco. I have used Valco RTV and Hylomar with a lot of success.
When I worked in the engine shop for one of the teams in NASCAR that is all we used to assemble the motors. The only gaskets we would use were the head, intake, and carb other than that everything was assembled with Valco. I would even use silicone to seal our dry sump oil pumps when I rebuilt them. All I had to do was flush the pump with ZEP blue to remove the excess silicone so it would not get into the oil system.
We even used Valco for the rear ends and transmission.
I do know when using silicone sealers you need to be careful not to apply to much and to little. Especially on diesels. To much will break off and plug the oil squirters for the cylinders which will lead to catastrophic failure. :shock:
Stretch
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

carolina crawler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by carolina crawler » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:19 pm

Being a auto/truck mechanic for the last 26 years , I have used allot of sealants, the best I found so far is ultra black or ultra grey, I like the ultra grey better as is cures quick and will keep fluilds in or out, same as the black..I use black on american made autos and grey on imports and euros.... Just my thoughts....Mark/Cc

olrobk

Post by olrobk » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:38 pm

This kind of discussion is just what makes this site so great. Thanks y'all.