proud new owner

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
cat10til2
430 crawler
430 crawler

proud new owner

Post by cat10til2 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:19 pm

I recently purchased my first JD crawler...a 1010 gas. I just found this website tonight and think / hope that it will be a great resource. Lots of good info and pics. I know very little about my machine. Can someone tell me what the difference is between a 1010 and a CA or other variations of a 1010? Where can I find the serial number to determine the year of manufacture?
I bought the machine on e-bay about 4 weeks or so ago. The trip down to Pa was just the beginning of the fun. Had both trailer and truck problems but finally did get the machine home. It is now in the shop with the right hand final drive torn apart (it was apart when I bought it) I have ordered new bearings and seals for both sides and hope to get it back together by the end of the week. It does run, but also needs some governor work and has some bad seals in the lift arms on the blade. It has a model 610 blade assembly and is manual the other 4 ways. Tracks and most of the rollers are worn out as well.
Where is a good spot to find owners and repair manuals?

thanks
cat10til2

PS my last 2 crawlers were Cat...hence the handle

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:01 pm

Serial number will be on the RH front corner of the engine block on early crawlers, real late ones will be on the LH side of the bell housings.
If it is an ag crawler, it will have CA in the tag, and industrial will only have the C. Ag crawlers could not have a reverser, and seldom had blades. Normally if they had a blade, it would be the #76 angling bulldozer. That is not to say that the other blades will not fit, and were not bolted on at some time in their life, just normally would not be on there.
One of the cheapest places for manuals is Ebay.
Lavoy

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:06 pm

Go to johnnypopper.com/weirddeere. It explains the different 1010 variations, also list serial numbers by date of manufacture.
Service manual you want is SM2034, its available from Deere dealers. Not cheap, about $100. Everything in the operaters manual is in the service manual so you can save a little by buying just the service.
Good luck, Terry

cat10til2
430 crawler
430 crawler

serial number

Post by cat10til2 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:34 am

I looked on the tractor today and didn't see a number in either location. Perhaps it is under some of the greasy spots. I will have to take a closer look tonight after work. My crawler has a reverser and the bullgear that was torn apart has 56 teeth on the outside and 6 splines on the inside. I was told that the 6 splines mean that at least the final drive is from an early 1010. Is this accurate?
I have purchased 2 newer style final drives that have the smaller splines in the middle to replace what is damaged on the tractor currently. Once I get the new parts together, I will be selling the older style housings and any good internal parts if anyone is interested.

thanks