new toy 440icd crawler

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
oldjunklover
MC crawler
MC crawler

new toy 440icd crawler

Post by oldjunklover » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi everyone
Not only do I have a new toy I am new here. This machine is a diesel and is equipped with a reverser. It also has a loader and a backhoe. I pulled the engine looking for the source of the water that was in the engine oil. Anyway I found some wear on the drive shaft splines where it goes into the engine clutch. It would probably outlast me but since these are so much fun to work on I think I would just as soon replace it.
Does anyone know were to find one new or used? Would you have a rough guess what I could expect to pay? Or for that matter any other advice?
As for the water leak I believe it was the head gasket, I took the head bolts out with a craftsman 1/2" ratchet with no effort what so ever!

Thanks Guys

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:22 am

I might have a used one, I would have to do some digging to be sure. The shaft itself is obsolete, so no new ones available. Check your engine clutch while you have it apart if you have not already.
Lavoy

oldjunklover
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by oldjunklover » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:06 pm

I have the engine next to the wood stove in the garage. I have not checked the clutch yet but I am sure you are right there has to be something worn there to.
Thanks
Bruce