1010 Sprocket Shields, Cast Steel or Cast Iron?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

1010 Sprocket Shields, Cast Steel or Cast Iron?

Post by wwattson » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:31 pm

There's probably an easy way to tell the difference but I can't. I just bought a sprocket shield off a guy on eBay that was the correct shield for my 1010. When it arrived I discovered that the goof had managed to break both of the bottom bolt bosses in half removing it. It looks like an easy repair but the method is going to depend on the material.

This is one of those slightly slippery characters I was talking about the other day. He lists this shield on eBay stating that the 1010 he was parting out only had one when he got it. Then I notice a few days after the auction closes on this one that he's got a second one listed.

I got a good buy on the one I got so altogether it works even with having to fix it. Still, this guy went completely out of sight not responding to multiple emails and shipping the thing three weeks after he got paid. If anybody needs this guy's eBay user ID prior to bidding on any 1010 crawler parts, drop me a PM.
Bill Wattson

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:21 am

Bill,
They are cast iron. An easy way to tell the difference is to touch them with a side grinder. Steel throws long bright sparks, cast iron throws short dull sparks.
Lavoy

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:31 am

Thanks Lavoy. What I'm going to do then is throw the shield up on my mill and use an end mill the same diameter as the bolt boss to cut out both sides. Then I'll use some 1018 round bar of the same diameter and braze them into the "saddles" formed from cutting out the broken bosses.

I came across a brazing rod specifically made for doing cast iron repairs that I've been looking for a reason to try. I'm going to see if I can get a few samples and I'll let everybody know how it works out.
Bill Wattson

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:07 pm

Well, this guy on eBay is definitely a character. I no sooner posted this and he finally replied to the first email I sent him regarding what happened to the item I bought last month. I had just received it but with the cracked off bolt bosses. I told him that I could appreciate the fact that you could easily break off the bosses in the process of removal but he should have communicated the fact and I would have told him to throw in the broken pieces.

I then get a reply that the sprocket shield was "laying in the weeds" and he only saw it when he was loading it up. Problem is that the picture in the auction shows a sprocket shield still mounted on the track frame and the breaks are absolutely fresh with no rust. So, two more lies to add to the pile.

I'm going to supply the guys ID to anybody that emails or PMs me. I will tell you that the guy is out of the Richmond, VA area and doesn't have any current auctions.

We ought to do a Hall of Shame section. It was funny how many PMs I got about underhanded dealings and none of them were the same guys. There's some real jems out there.
Bill Wattson

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:51 pm

Go ahead and post the member name, you have no obligation to keep it under wraps. That's what they have feedback for.

You can also tell it is cast iron by the appearance of the break. Cast iron leaves a rough gray surface when broken, thus its name gray cast iron. Steel leaves a silvery color, and there is evidence of pulling before it breaks off like putty (cast iron does not stretch). White cast iron leaves the same color as steel but breaks like grey cast, but the stuff is rare and not used for this sort of application.