CLUTCH AND REVERSER INTERPLAY

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
charless
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by charless » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:22 pm

ANYONE WITH A 440....

If you were to keep the engine clutch depressed (disengaged) in your 440's would the reverser operate the machine....that is to say, move it backward and forward while the engine clutch was disengaged? I am a newbie trying to better understand how the reverser and the engine clutch affect each other.
JD 440IC 2 CYL Gas Crawler Dozer with a 6 way blade. Serial Number 442495

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:08 am

As we have been discussing, the main clutch disconnects the flow of power from the engine to the balance of the drive train. If the main clutch is disengaged, nothing else turns including the PTO.
If you have a PTO, check to see if it is turning while you have the main clutch depressed. If it is, your clutch is NOT disengaged as it should be when the left pedal is depressed
The flow of power runs from the engine, through the main clutch, through the reverser (if it has one), through the steering clutches, through the rear drives and sprockets.
If your crawler is moving at all with the main clutch depressed, the clutch is NOT disengaged.
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

charless
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by charless » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:23 am

JD440ICD2006 wrote:As we have been discussing, the main clutch disconnects the flow of power from the engine to the balance of the drive train. If the main clutch is disengaged, nothing else turns including the PTO.
If you have a PTO, check to see if it is turning while you have the main clutch depressed. If it is, your clutch is NOT disengaged as it should be when the left pedal is depressed
The flow of power runs from the engine, through the main clutch, through the reverser (if it has one), through the steering clutches, through the rear drives and sprockets.
If your crawler is moving at all with the main clutch depressed, the clutch is NOT disengaged.
Thanks for the explanation JD.... I'm gearing up (pun intended) to replace a throw-out bearing and maybe the clutch in my machine.
JD 440IC 2 CYL Gas Crawler Dozer with a 6 way blade. Serial Number 442495

thomastractorsvc
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by thomastractorsvc » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:57 pm

If you have it apart, I would replace the whole package i.e. clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing and check the wear on the clutch pedal shaft it may need to have bushings installed.

You don't want to get it all apart and put back together to tear into in a few weeks later because the clutch is slipping or you can't adjust the clutch properly due to excessive clutch pedal shaft wear.

I think Lavoy has the parts for the main clutch to include the tube and the spring. Any machine shop should be able to fix the clutch pedal shaft with bushings. Do it right the first time.

Rob
JD 990 w/300CX FEL & JD 8A Backhoe
I reject your reality and substitute my own! Adam Savage of MythBusters