BROKE AGAIN
420 crawler
420 crawler

jd 1010 front cross bar trouble

Post by BROKE AGAIN » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:43 pm

new guy bear with me.
got a 1010 gasser, 5 roller.
it's got three bad rollers all on the passenger side. :cry:
got one replaced saving up for the others. (lavoy seems to be the man with the best prices, tried three others)
as i was underneath taking off the rock guards. saw that the 4 bolts that appear to fasten it to the frame were loose. bottom ones only spun wouldn't tighten up. top ones had a smaller diameter put in and a nut. other side all 4 were sheared off. dug around in the frozen mud and clay (northern mn) and to me looked like the two on top the holes are visible and can see threads. and the two on bottom deadended before they came out the other side.
some old welds on the plate with the bolts in them but don't look factory. would seem silly to weld and bolt anyways. if indeed are threaded looks like some work to get enough stuff out of the way before i can re-tap them.
just trying to get some insight from the "experienced" before i just start wrenching and cussing. :D [/b]
WISH IT WOULD STAY RUNNING!!!!

thomastractorsvc
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by thomastractorsvc » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:20 pm

Similar experience with my JD 440 ICD. I replaced the front cross bar on mine with a good solid used one. I was going to make new flanges and re-weld on but I got a good used one for about $100.

The flange mounts had been welded so many times it was 2 inches closer on one side than the other. The flange on one side had the ears torn off. While it was disassembled the track frames were removed and laid over for ease of work. This made it easy to extract the broken bolts, re drill and thread. I have one bolt on the left side that is 1/4" larger than the rest. I am paranoid now and I am always looking at those bolts while I am dozing. I have had to tighten only the bolt that is 1/4"larger than the rest.

Rob
JD 990 w/300CX FEL & JD 8A Backhoe
I reject your reality and substitute my own! Adam Savage of MythBusters

BROKE AGAIN
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by BROKE AGAIN » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:12 pm

okay so they really are threaded holes. flanges are supposed to be bolted to track frame and not welded.
big job to lay the track frames down? if it is maybe can peck away to get enough room to weseal a tap in and out.

thanks for the help
WISH IT WOULD STAY RUNNING!!!!