new crawler owner with questions

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
tx420fan
MC crawler
MC crawler

new crawler owner with questions

Post by tx420fan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:40 pm

my family has restored tractores for several years but never a crawler. My wife and i recently purchased a 420 crawler. I has a large horseshoe blade frame with a holt blade mounted on it. the man we baught it from said it was a forestry crawler. Is there any way to check that, how rare is it, did it have a factory cage on it, and was the grill gaurd a factory item? the tracks show very little sign of wear and the sheet metal is free of dents. we started tearing the engine down saturaday and all is well. as we start together with it, is there any thing we need to know. any help would be great

Thanks from Texas
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway” John Wayne

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:05 pm

Welcome to the board. Even with tractor experience, crawlers are a whole different animal, you will have fun.
By forestry crawler, he could have meant it was purchased for use in trees, purchased for use by a foresty service, or something like that. There is no such thing as a foresty crawler as in a specific model or option package directly from Deere. The canopy and blade you have are aftermarket, your grille guard could be factory or could be aftermarket.
Lavoy