What's needed to add a PTO?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
CCWKen
430 crawler
430 crawler

What's needed to add a PTO?

Post by CCWKen » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:28 pm

I think I can probably add a cylinder under the seat to handle the lift part and fabricate the link mounts. What would be needed for the drive. Just the housing and shaft?
JD420C, Ford 3910, IH 2606, Kenbota G32XKS

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:46 am

Ken,
Are you talking about a PTO, or a 3PT hitch?
Lavoy

CCWKen
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by CCWKen » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:42 pm

The PTO. I need to add a pto output shaft to the back. Is there a casing that replaces the "cap" on the back of the final? Is there anything else I would need besides a casing with bearings and the output shaft?

I mentioned the 3pt parts because I don't want the whole shibang--Just the pto.
JD420C, Ford 3910, IH 2606, Kenbota G32XKS

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:12 pm

All you need to do to add PTO is pull the bottom 3 bolt cover on the back of the trans, and insert a PTO attachment.
Lavoy

bighamlin
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bighamlin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:00 pm

Does this also apply for a 1010CI? Would it run continous or how do you engage/disengage the PTO? Thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:22 pm

Same on 1010. There is a shifter lever on the top of the tranny that engages the PTO. Technically is will function as a live PTO because if you pull both steering levers back at the same time, the crawler stops, but the PTO continues to run. If you push the clutch in, the PTO stops.
One thing to remember on a 1010, if you pull the reverser lever while using the PTO, it will throw the PTO into reverse as well.
Lavoy

bighamlin
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bighamlin » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:58 am

Thanks - I don't think mine has the shifter lever you describe, I am waiting for my parts books to come in and I can see where it goes.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:06 am

You should have the shifter, it would be on the top left hand side of the trans case, not far from the dipstick. It is a small lever about 4 inches long.
Lavoy

bighamlin
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bighamlin » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:35 pm

Strange, I can't even find the dipstick you discribe. There are two cutout holes in the operator station floorboard though. I assumned the transmission was full of Hydraulic fluid like my other JD tractors (this is my first crawler). There is a resevoir on the front right of engine for hydraulic fluid with a dipstick. The 1010 crawler I have (at least I think it is a 1010, no serial #) has a 4 cyl diesel, shifter on right dash, exaust on front right through hood, reverser, #612 front blade with serial# and a #35 ripper with serial #. If you have any ideas or doubts on even if it is a 1010 please let me know what you think. Thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:07 pm

Transmission on a 1010 is it's own lube, completely seperate from everything else, same is true for reverser, same is true for final drives. The reservoir you refer to is the hydraulic reservoir only, has no commonality with any other lube system on the crawler.
ALL 1010 crawlers have a dipstick on the top LH side of the transmission case, a couple inches back from the dash. ALL 1010 crawlers have a PTO shifter that will be a couple of inches give or take rearward of the dipstick. If you have neither of these, something is wrong.
If you do not already have them, get the service and parts manuals. If you have never checked any of your fluids, you are risking some high priced components.
Lavoy

bighamlin
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bighamlin » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:46 pm

Thanks - I have only had the dozer a week now and have not used it other than to unload it. The first thing I did was order the OM & PC from my deere dealer. I did find the didpstick thanks to you and the presure washer - it was on the floorboard, covered in grease/dirt directly under the left steering brake. You have to pull back on the brake to get it out. About 1 inch behind that is a stub shaft (about 7/16 dia and 3/4" tall) that sticks directly up - that must at least be a part of the PTO engagement lever. The action seems to be up and down cause it does move, but there must be something missing because I don't see how you could engage it. If you pull it up the steering brake would push it back down, unless the action is very short, less than 1/2". I wonder if someone put in a non-stock or custom made floorboard. I guess I will find all this out when the books arive. Thanks again Lavoy - you sure know your stuff.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:46 pm

I have seen on a couple of 1010's where the stop for the LH steering lever gets worn down, and the lever bangs on the top of the PTO shifter. Eventually this drives the shifter shaft down somewhat shearing the pin that secures the shift lever to the shifter shaft. Look real close at your LH steering lever when it is at rest and see if it is touching the top of the shaft. If it it, or is close to it, find the stop on the steering lever, and build it up slightly so that the lever is held above the shaft by 1/4" or so, that will prevent it from happening again in the future. Then you can put a new lever and cross pin on the shaft, and you will be able to shift the PTO again. In a pinch, you can put a small Vise-Grip on the stub of the shaft and engage and disengage the PTO.
Lavoy