please help with 2010 starter

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
dnormand25
420 crawler
420 crawler

please help with 2010 starter

Post by dnormand25 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:22 am

I had the starter rebuilt for my 2010 and the solenoid was replaced. I am having problems connecting it. the terminal markings are different from the original. the large post in the solenoid I assume is the negative terminal from the battery - remember this is a positive ground system. the two smaller posts are labeled S and R. The tractor has two additional wires one is purple and goes to the generator, the second is of a larger gauge and red and according to the scematics goes to the voltage regulator. what terminal is proper for each wire? I have tried various combinations and had no success. no sound, or movement. I can jump the large post to the S terminal and get the motor to turn. I am beginning to suspect a bad key switch.I appreciate any help offered. I don't know whats more dissappointing, spending the cash or being unable to figutr this seemingly simple problem.

dnormand25
420 crawler
420 crawler

Ok Heres What I fiqure

Post by dnormand25 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:51 pm

After actually looking at the scematics for a wheeled version and discussions in another board. Heres what I have found. The battery cable goes to the main lug. The wire from the voltage regulater also goes on the main lug- need to get power down the line some how. The last lead in the scematic is from the key switch and this goes to the "S" terminal. The "R" or resister terminal would not be used on a diesel and provides voltage while cranking. If anyone feels this information is in error please correct me. Not to seem like a fool, but all i have is a bag of parts and no luxury of being the one who dissasembled the motor five years prior.
I am sure this is common knowlege to the group ,but i figured posting a relply would be useful in the event a newbee other than myself is looking for an answer to a simple question sometime in the future.

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:22 pm

That sounds correct to me. when I rewired mine I had one empty terminal on the solenoid. I have an alternator but don't know why the generator wire is there other than as a power tap for the field. I didn't get power to my key switch until I switched my Ameter wiring , Don't know why that made any difference but it was dead one way and not the other. The little voltmeter got used a lot that day!

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:52 pm

The purple wire is the safety switch wire to the starter. It will go to the S terminal on the solenoid. The large red wire needs to go to the same post as the battery on the starter.
Just a little hint, if you try to check the safety switch with an ohm meter and it checks good that may not be necessarily so. When the starter tries to engage, the amount of current going thru the switch will be greater and it could fail.
Make sure you have your regulator wired correctly also. Brown to armature, blue to field, red to battery and starter.
Hope this helps
Stretch
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.