New member and new owner of a 56? 420 crawler

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu May 22, 2008 8:26 pm

I can't quite see the final clearly, but that appears to be an MC/3 roller 40 final, and it will not fit a 420.
Lavoy

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Tue May 27, 2008 9:08 am

Lavoy you are right it is for an older crawler as I checked the face dimension of the axle seal retainer mounting surface and the rear bearing cap mounting surface . It is approximately 1/2" shorter than the one on the crawler .
Now that I am on the hunt for another Final drive housing that will fit on this crawler . I will post the casting number on the "new" one , maybe someone here could use it .
What with having to buy all the parts and rebuild the a final drive , should I be looking for just the case and the pan or should I buy a complete final drive assembly and then just rebuild it before I install it on the crawler . Price wise it should be a wash .
At least I got the fenders for free .
Once I check the left hand side final drive for tooth count on the pinion and bull gear I will be on the hunt for the needed parts . I had to get my front lawn raked and seeded over the weekend before someone started complaining about it being torn up . It turned out pretty well for not having the crawler to do the needed dirt work on it . Now I can pull the track on the left side and replace the bushing in the idler and check all the rollers .
Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue May 27, 2008 10:25 am

I would not buy a complete final unless you know for sure what is in it. I had a customer do this once, bought 2 or 3 different complete finals. They were either junk, or had the wrong tooth count. Finally called me and I sent him just the parts he needed to rebuild his, and no more problems.
I should have everything you need on hand.
Lavoy

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Tue May 27, 2008 11:05 am

Casting number on the final drive housing is M- 938 - T .
Now onto the fenders , the rear bracket (TE281YT) does it bolt on to the outside of the steering clutch housing ear or to the inside of the ear ? Just something that is unclear . I have had them setting on the tracks and figure that the they bolt on the inside of the final drive ear and the other bracket bolts to the inside of the side frame .
The clutch shaft and foot brake cross shaft are seized to each other so when either is depressed the other moves . Not a good thing . I have freed it up some but not as much as I had hope using Kroil and working the clutch pedal back and forth . Since I am going to be rebuilding the final drives could the transmission be removed and then service the shafts or would it be better to remove the engine and center frame to service the shafts ? Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:34 pm

I found a complete final drive assembly with the correct gears in it closer to home . It should be here in about a week or so :D It will need rebuild before being mounted onto my crawler but hey I am happy . Today I pulled the oil pan off the left side of the crawler and counted teeth just to make sure that I had the right one coming . the gears look good but the is some slop in the splines of the bull gear and shaft . I am hoping that the wear is on the shaft and not in the gears splines . As I have the shaft from the right side to replace it with .
Once I was done with that I proceeded to remove the foot rest from both sides and removed the sprocket cover and drive sprocket . I found that the cover had one missing bolt and one broken one . Then while removing the last bolt from the ears I ended up snapping the head of of it . Some heat , a 7/16" nut , a 6011 welding rod , and a little Kroil the sprocket cover is ready for sandblasting 8) .
As this will be a much longer thread I am going to continue it over in the Show and Tell section . Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:08 pm

The bull gear hub is cast iron, the axle shaft is forged. You're probably looking at a replacement bull gear, sorry.