440 loader

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 loader

Post by townlineterry » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:33 am

Going to look at a couple of 440 loaders next week. I'm not familar with that model wondered what the weak points are, anything a should be looking out for?
They are at a dealer, both have sat outside for a few years, doubt they have been run for a while. Also any idea on price range say for something in fair condition, I know that this guy's first asking price will be way, way to high.

Thanks in advance. Terry

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:20 am

440 loaders can really be hard on stuff if not run properly and abused. Look for cracks and breaks on clutch housings, final drives, and such. Look closely at the undercarriage, that will bury you in a big hurry too if it is worn out.
Lavoy

Johnneypopper
40C crawler
40C crawler

440 loader

Post by Johnneypopper » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:01 pm

Irecently bought my first crawler a 420 without knowing what to look for and the undercarraige is wore bad It will cost a good bit to fix its looking like ill have to do the steering clutches to but after that other then cosmetics it should be good

carolina crawler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by carolina crawler » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:30 am

Lavoy, made a good statement, have someone who knows what a worn out undercarriage or drive looks like as I along with alot of other members here, look at the stuff on the outside but have no clue what lurks behind 40+ years of yuk...my crawler has broken motor mounts, cracked rear frame section,and a totally waisted set of sprockets and rails..BUT............there are lots of friendly peoplehere with the skills and knowledge to help get the crawler up and running, might cost you a bit of $$$....but you will enjoy the rewards when done.....oh yea..... GET A TORCH SET........youll need it...........good luck..Mark /Cc
1978 350b loader w/winch