1010 loader engine????

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
BROKE AGAIN
420 crawler
420 crawler

1010 loader engine????

Post by BROKE AGAIN » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:26 pm

thanks for help in advance.

here's what i got. had this 1010 gas for most of the winter, havn't doone any work with it other than move a little snow. 15 20 hrs tops.
when i first got it i changed all the fluids except the anti-freeze. replaced rollers, bolts, etc... but have been noticing the motor oil going up on the dipstick (water) and some white cream (water) collecting on the oil filler cap. probably i'd say 3/4 of a qt over the full mark. drained everything yerterday.
now i also noticed that the temp guauge never hardly climbs off cold so i have the hod and tank off to replace thermostat. maybe there isn't even one in there. but am hoping that the extra moisture is from engine not getting up to temp. can't see any loss of coolant when i look in the radiator.
just curious as what the elders have to say on this. :?:
WISH IT WOULD STAY RUNNING!!!!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:55 pm

If you are gaining oil level in the crankcase, it would sound like water getting in the oil. If the engine is running cold in the Winter, it will not get moisture out of the oil, if that it the only thing causing the oil to get milky, then a new thermostat will help.
Lavoy

RANDY Fay
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by RANDY Fay » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:37 am

I have this problem with my 40C if it ever sets outside in rain or snow unless the hood is completely covered it gets water in oil--has new exhaust and manifold with weather cover and sill it gets in --so if I leave it out side I cover it up have fun Randy

jdemaris

Re: 1010 loader engine????

Post by jdemaris » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:56 am

BROKE AGAIN wrote:thanks for help in advance.

but have been noticing the motor oil going up on the dipstick (water) and some white cream (water) collecting on the oil filler cap. probably i'd say 3/4 of a qt over the full mark. drained everything yerterday.
now i also noticed that the temp guauge never hardly climbs off cold so
If you don't want to ruin an otherwise good engine, pull the oil pan and look for rust-trails near the sleeve bottoms and main-caps. I bet you find several - all from slow sleeve leaks over time. 1010s and 2010s have chronic sleeve leak problems as they age. If not fixed in time, you'll wind up with a siezed crank and spun bearings. The leaks will get worse over time and one morning you'll fire it up, and the water level at the bottom of the oil pan will be high enough - that pure coolant will get sucked into the oil pump and sent to the bearings. Then, it will be all over.
And yes, it could also be a sleeve-deck gasket, etc., but pulling the pan is the first and most important thing to check. If you don't want to do that - just let it sit for a week without starting it. Then, pull the plug from the pan. Any water will have separated from the oil and you will clearly see it in pure form when you drain it.

BROKE AGAIN
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by BROKE AGAIN » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:46 am

i'll replace the thermostat and oil and hope that does it.
it's always been shedded since i've owned it so it's not getting in that way.
it had been sitting for a week or so when i pulled the plug the other day and a little less than a qt came out. but i thought it was just water, but could have been antifreeze, dark in the shed under the cat.
if the oil starts rising again i'll pull the pan and look for rust stains. on the down side if that's what it happens to be, what's the cure? :cry:
engine mechanic i am not. horse drawn farm equipment and circle sawmills now thats another thing. thanks for the replies

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:05 am

BROKE AGAIN wrote: on the down side if that's what it happens to be, what's the cure? :cry:
If the sleeves are leaking, the only fix is to pull the head, sleeve deck, pistons, etc. Install new sleeve o-rings, new deck and head gasket, etc. But, once in that far - you'd have to ask yourself what else ought to be done while apart? If it was mine - at the least, I'd recut the top piston grooves, shim and re-ring. And, do a quick valve job on the head with new stationary guide-seals. That, along with new rod and main bearings.

I guess another option is - pour in a bunch of stop leak. I've never seen it work - but it might buy you a little time.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:50 am

Drain the oil out, and leave the drain plug out for a while. That will only tell you something if it is leaking water when cold, but if it is, no sense even putting the thermostat in.
Lavoy

BROKE AGAIN
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by BROKE AGAIN » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:26 pm

well got it fixed :D had to take alot more stuff off than i thought to finally get to the thermostat.
then the first thing i did was twist the bolt off flush.
had to take more apart so i could get the drill in right to drill straight.
borrowed a easy-out and proceeded to twist that off. :shock:
cussed and managed to get that out with small screwdriver and visegrip
decided to just drill the whole thing out a fraction at a time and re-tap the hole.
put new thermostat in and hauled the 1010 to the hils at my father in-laws so i could open the trails for maple sap hauling. clocked quite a few hours on it and no more water in oil.
snow covered steep hills with street tracks make for some good stories during supper. couldn't reverse back up them in 1st. (didn't dare try forward)
would spin out half way up. had to lug her in 2nd.
thanks for the help

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:11 pm

BROKE AGAIN wrote: put new thermostat in and hauled the 1010 to the hils at my father in-laws so i could open the trails for maple sap hauling.
You could do worse with pulling sap through the woods. I'm on all pipeline now - right to my sap-house. Some years ago - I worked at a sugaring operation in northern Vermont. All bucket collection - and we dumped into a 300 gallon gathering tank on a sled. We usually did all the pulling with a Deere 420 - and it had ice-cleats welded to the pads long with Deere ice-bolts to keep from going sideways. One season- halfway through - the 420 quit moving. Snapped a trans-coupler as I recall. So, we then got our hands on a Ford 9N with chains on it - and it was useless. Would not pull a full tank in ice/snow. So, then . . . we were down to horses to finish up the season. Two draft horses that were used to being freeloaders - being led my me and another guy - and none of use were very good horsemen. Many times, I'd walk off with two buckets on my shoulders to get sap - and come back to find the gathering tank and horses gone. They kept going back to camp. Boy, did we miss that little Deere crawler.

BROKE AGAIN
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by BROKE AGAIN » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:31 am

draft horses :D that's the one of the few subjects i feel like i know something about. ran several teams for about 10 years. gave wagon and sleigh rides. cut and raked hay with them. springtooth, harrows, drags. bundle hauling to the thresher.
my favorite was logging in the winter.
got sick 2 yrs ago and parents asked me and the wife and kids to find somewhere else. so left with nothing. but am trying to get my health back.
this 1010 is good therapy. i can beat it like a rented mule and it can't tattle on me.

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:47 am

BROKE AGAIN wrote:draft horses :D that's the one of the few subjects i feel like i know something about. ran several teams for about 10 years. gave wagon and sleigh rides. cut and raked hay with them. springtooth, harrows, drags. bundle hauling to the thresher.
my favorite was logging in the winter.
got sick 2 yrs ago and parents asked me and the wife and kids to find somewhere else. so left with nothing. but am trying to get my health back.
this 1010 is good therapy. i can beat it like a rented mule and it can't tattle on me.
Between my wife and I , we've worked with all things you mentioned. She runs a "living-history" museum - with the original 1800s water-powered saw and grist mill, along with two large steam engines for backup power in the summer when the water is low. Ice cutting in the winter is done partially with a mule-team and team of oxen.
At home we have two Percheron workhorses - and 8 crawlers. Personally, I get along better with a good team of mules than I do with horses.