40C questions

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Bret4207
440 crawler
440 crawler

40C questions

Post by Bret4207 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:47 am

I have an old 40C I need to replace the final drive bearings on and do the brake bands. I'm wondering- #1 Since my tracks are worn what would be involved in switching to new 350 tracks? I have a worn set of 350 tracks on it now but the clearances are so lax it's hard to say what fits and doesn't.

#2- The hydraulic pump will work great for 15-20 seconds. Then it acts like it's sucking air, but I don't know where it could be doing that. Everything is tight and it has new bearings and seals. Is there a way to test the pump off the machine?

#3- I rebuilt the proviously good working carb and changed intake when I rebuilt the engine maybe 10 hours ago. Now I have to run the choke nearly 3/4 of the way out. I've checked the filters, float height, passages, etc. Other than a vacuum leak around the intake, which I can't find either, where do I look next?

#4- Has anyone ever added a second ram and lift assy to the right side of the blade? I'm tired of the blade lifting crooked even after I rebushed everything and built some new parts for it. I like the inside mounted blade in the woods and a 3 roll is front heavy anyways. I have access to an outside mounted blade, but thats more hardware.

#5- Last one!- I have a 5 roll parts machine with a missing track adjuster and idler assy. Is the 5 roll enough better riding/traction to justify rebuilding it and using that rather than the 3 roll. My 3 roll assy is junk too, but I've altered it to take 350 rolls and it works okay, but not great.

Sure appreciate the help and Lavoy maintaining this place!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:56 am

You would need to re-rim the sprockets, and swap your old pads over if you don't need new ones.
Check for a crack somewhere in the suction line, and make sure that the suction line has not been bent up in the reservoir so it is getting above the oil level.
Sounds like a plugged circuit in the carb. If you open the load jet can you get it to come around?
5 roller trackframe will bolt right now, but keep in mind that you have lighter finals, the added traction of a longer track might increase problems in that area.
Lavoy