1010c crawler won't start anymore

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ptrachte
420 crawler
420 crawler

1010c crawler won't start anymore

Post by ptrachte » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:09 pm

Hi,

JD 1010 crawler, Diesel, loader, ripper.
Around October i finished with it and put it in the barn - nice and dry.
It was starting wonderfully - even in the cold.
Normally when you go to start it, the Gen light comes on to warm up the plugs, and then when you actually crank it over. Then it goes off when running.

It sat til now. Unfortunately i left the battery in and it was low, so i took it out first thing and charged it good. Put the battery back in, and went to crank and no gen light, but it WOULD crank over, with of course no start.

So i think, ok i'll re-polarize the generator. I go to the volt reg, and quickly touch the gen and bat terminals - still nothing. The volt reg itself looked pretty new. I suppose it could be bad?

Nothing was touched or run over the winter so i'm at a loss. It was working so well. Any advice appreciated.

Paul
Paul-1010 crawler/loader

jdemaris

Re: 1010c crawler won't start anymore

Post by jdemaris » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:33 am

ptrachte wrote:Hi,

JD 1010 crawler, Diesel, loader, ripper.
no start.

So i think, ok i'll re-polarize the generator. I go to the volt reg, and quickly touch the gen and bat terminals - still nothing. The volt reg itself looked pretty new. I suppose it could be bad?

Paul
Polarizing the generator won't have any effect on the charge light coming on, or not. The light works by gettting ground on one side, and "hot" to the other. I don't know if you've got a 12 volt cranking 1010, or a 24 volt, but both work the same with the charge light. Check power and ground at the light. If the bulb is good, and it is grounded, then it's not getting power from the GEN terminal of the regulator. At the regulator - make sure it's getting power. Check the B terminal and make sure it's hot all the time. It gets its power from the big stud on the starter solenoid. If hot, check L terminal with the key on and make sure it is hot also. If both are hot, but GEN terminal is not - a relay inside the regulator either isn't working, or - the points are dirty. Note that for any machine that has sat for awhile - points commonly get oxidized and need to be scraped. Generator brushes also get stuck and lose contact.

Are there any other symptoms other then the GEN light not coming on?

RANDY Fay
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by RANDY Fay » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:48 am

turn key switch back to left aginst spring--check and see if power is going to glow plugs--wire that hooks on top of glow plug--if there is power there check glow plug by removing wire check from glow plug termnel to block should be closed cercut if open replace glow plug have fun Randy

ptrachte
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ptrachte » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:12 pm

Thank you very much, This all makes sense. I'll try these things and see what happens and post results.

I'm almost positive its a 12v.

Other symptoms:
The engine DOES crank over for a little but it seems to kill the battery right quick.

Paul
Paul-1010 crawler/loader

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:13 am

I would say you have a bad battery if you charged it and then it discharges at a rapid rate. If you have a load tester check the battery.
Try jumping the battery while cranking. Make sure your glow plugs are working. Use an ohm meter on lowest scale each plug should be about 1 ohm. If glow plugs check get some WD-40 and spray in intake while cranking.
I know this may sound stupid but make sure you turned fuel back on also.
Stretch
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

ptrachte
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ptrachte » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:36 pm

So. thanks to all for the advice. Turns out that one of the plug wires WAS loose, and once i cleaned things up and hooked everything back up, it worked perefectly.

BTW since the battery had been disconnected for quite a while, i did polarize the gen just to be sure. Its nice an hot.

Got one sunny day up here, and i'm gunna make use of it before the next week of rain.

Cheers
Paul
Paul-1010 crawler/loader