Junk 1010 sprockets on eBay

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
olrobk

Post by olrobk » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks for posting this Bill and also to Mark for telling us about his mistake. You are good guys for helping all of us out. If you look at all 130 items this guy has on eBay at the moment, there are NO bids on most of it. If you look at his feedback ratings over the last 12 months, he's got 2100 positive recommendations and only 9 negative. And try to find one of those negative feedbacks. It is a big job no one will ever bother doing. If nothing else, this tells me he's sold at least two thousand items on eBay in the last year. If you can find a neutral or negative feedback response, he's right on it with a clever, light hearted answer. For me, eBay is a scary place... kind of like the amusement park where my mommy told me to be really careful because it's full of bad people.

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:06 pm

On-line auctions are not too far removed from a few live auctions if you think about it. Ever been to a live auction where the bid keeps going up on a guy that seems intent on winning, but yet you can never see anyone moving to signal or raise their number? Hum? You don't think? Naw, no way.
With the on-line auctions, no one has figured out a fool proof way to prevent the seller from running up the price with other screen names or getting their buddies to poke bids in to make it appear to be a very "wanted" item.
And then, you are trusting a stranger with a few pictures and a "description".
And, there are some real deals to be had at both on-line and live auctions to those that have the time, patience, and the knowledge, coupled with some good luck.
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

lizrad999
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by lizrad999 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:00 pm

Actually, I've been on Ebay since July of '99 (as Lizrad) both selling and buying.
I've picked up some pretty good deals on there, but mostly I've been selling odd hitch items for back of tractors that I fab myself. Been doing it for the past 5 years and I really enjoy it.
I've got a website, and I do get a little business from there, but Ebay really keeps me selling which is what I use for my "play money". With a little work some nights and weekends, I can almost afford to buy parts for this 440IC I've got! :roll:
There are definitely some shady characters out there, but Ebay does make it tough for them to last very long, and if you use Paypal you almost always are protected against fraud.
However, if I was going to give anyone a word of caution about Ebay and Paypal it is: Never, never, never, trust an email you receive that claims to be from either of them! It's simple really, you get an email that really looks like it came from Ebay that says you need to do something urgently to your account and they provide you a link in the email to click on to log in......only thing is, the ling might say My Ebay, but it sends you to a bogus URL that looks identicle to Ebay. There you enter your login and password like you normally do, and poof......they have your info....
They do the same thing with Paypal.......
The solution? Open a "new" browser window, and actually type www.ebay.com......this way you can't be hijacked by the dirt-balls.

Whoops, got up on the ole soapbox there....sorry. Bottom line, it's a great hobby and loads of fun, just got to use yer noggin! 8)

carolina crawler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by carolina crawler » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:51 am

when I bought there old used 1010/440 crawler sprockets, it took a bit to get them to refund my money...what killed me was the shipping, seams that items from up north are cheaper to ship south then it was for me to ship them back up to them.When I went to UPS to ship the 2 sprockets back, cost me over 90 bucks, yet, there shipping to me cost around 50 bucks, when I asked about the difference in shipping price, there the ones that told me its cheaper to ship south then north....go figure..either way I lost alot of money I could have used.....there very sneaky about the way they photo items and list them......buyer beware....Mark Cc
1978 350b loader w/winch

carolina crawler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by carolina crawler » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:51 am

when I bought there old used 1010/440 crawler sprockets, it took a bit to get them to refund my money...what killed me was the shipping, seams that items from up north are cheaper to ship south then it was for me to ship them back up to them.When I went to UPS to ship the 2 sprockets back, cost me over 90 bucks, yet, there shipping to me cost around 50 bucks, when I asked about the difference in shipping price, there the ones that told me its cheaper to ship south then north....go figure..either way I lost alot of money I could have used.....there very sneaky about the way they photo items and list them......buyer beware....Mark Cc
1978 350b loader w/winch

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:43 am

If you are going to buy equipment on Ebay, I would recommend trying to either buy from a reputable dealer and/or buy locally- if you have a chance to bid on something locally then insist on inspecting it in person before placing a bid.

I won an early Ford 4000 diesel tractor on Ebay- the guy selling owns a local farm auction business and puts machines up there on Ebay as well. I inspected it beforehand and ended up getting a pretty darn good deal on it ($1800), mainly because it had a few minor problems that people cross country didn't want to take a chance on without seeing it.

I also won a spare 2010 crawler for parts- it is approximately 500 miles from me and I didn't get a chnace to inspect in person. However I had the owner take many pictures of specific items up close before I made an informed bid. I also checked into the seller's background and found out that he is a reputable police officer well-known in the community, so I felt a little more comfortable in purchasing from him remotely. I am still arranging delivery so I'll let you know how that deal turned out.

I have had pretty good luck with smaller items on Ebay from remote locations, but purchasing equipment remotely (especially running equipment) or parts is something you need to be very careful of without a lot of pictures or actual inspection and an idea of how reptuable the dealer is. Check the BBB if you can.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm

As to the shipping, that is basically a lie, there is not a significant difference if at all. The difference is you likely went to the UPS counter at the terminal, or a UPS store, and that is just about the highest price there is. If you have an account with them, then it gets cheaper. They should have sent you a call tag, then it would not have been an issue.
Lavoy

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:51 pm

Lavoy,

I second that about the prices shipping north versus south. Apples to apples, they are regulated and must charge a commensurate rate for commensurate services.
Brown does a good job but the one that delivers to your mailbox beats their prices and service at times, you just have to check.
One other interesting thing about all of the shipping companies that sell next day and 2nd day services. No matter where the package is going, it MUST route through their normal break points and distribution centers.
Example: you live in Raleigh, NC, and you ship a package next day air to your neighbor down the road. That package has to be flown to Memphis, TN to be sorted, and then flown back to Raliegh to be delivered. Sounds crazy but it is how they keep the playing field somewhat level.
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu May 01, 2008 11:46 am

He's got his sprockets listed again- cracks me up every time I see them because they look more like circle saw blades than sprockets.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

carolina crawler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by carolina crawler » Fri May 02, 2008 5:28 pm

In relation to the shipping, I did use a UPS store here in ga, since they were going to a rual route, they told me the shipping was more then what I paid,and that going North to that area, there was additional charge, as it was 73 bucks but turned out to be 93bucks for a fuel surrcharge change.I think the lady was the one who told me about the whole north./south thing..Bottom line, the box was big and heavy as hell.they looked at me like Oh my God, whats in there...at the time, I didnt think they would help me, but they did. ....to change the subject I pissed off another local JD dealer here in kennesaw ga..Mettrac, a very large deere dealer here, was not happy to help me look up part numbers, he had to access his old deere microfiche to look up parts for the 831 loader, he eventually said , Sir, there are no parts left in the inventory for a 440 dozer or loader, just get a newer model and your problems will be solved....I told him OK, approve me for 85k loan with monthy payments at less then 150.00 a month for one of your neused units and I would be happy to sign on the dotted line....he told me are you serious.....I told him NO, I was being an ass..and left...even though I am a buisness owner he still treated me like crap,,,holds true, deere dealers dont like us collectors..Mark Cc
1978 350b loader w/winch

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri May 02, 2008 5:52 pm

Seems like most dealer nowadays don't care if you are a collector or not, I don't think they like anybody that does not do $1,000,000 of business with them a year. To me, it just goes to customer service, or lack thereof I suppose.
Lavoy

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:18 pm

I have discussed this before. I cannot discuss it long as I will begin to really tell the truth and Lavoy would need to delete the message due to foul language.
They totally ignored the collectors, that is, up until some bean counter realized that there was a nice chunk of change flowing from collectors.
Today, they own controlling interest in some of the after market folks that supply no long available parts.
Only one little difference, the dang prices jumped like a frog with his butt on fire as soon as they bought them.
I do not buy their "excuses" for high prices any more than I buy the oil companies lame excuses.
Based on the semantics that they typically use to justify high prices, the after market parts prices should have dropped. They should be able to produce and distribute parts much more efficently than a couple good old guys running a small shop, but they can't based on the price jump.
Enough said.
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W