Is Hydraulic fluid compatible to replace 10 wt oil for MC

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Mr. B
40C crawler
40C crawler

Is Hydraulic fluid compatible to replace 10 wt oil for MC

Post by Mr. B » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:33 pm

Have not been to the tractor store yet but all of my auto vendors do not carry straight 10W what the manuals says to use in the Hyd. resevoir. Is the standard hydralic fluid the same ? Thanks Adjusting the throw out bearing solved by MC week side, should of done that allot sooner. Thanks agin for all your help. Mr. B Loraine, NY

jdemaris

Re: Is Hydraulic fluid compatible to replace 10 wt oil for M

Post by jdemaris » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:05 pm

Mr. B wrote:Have not been to the tractor store yet but all of my auto vendors do not carry straight 10W what the manuals says to use in the Hyd. resevoir. Is the standard hydralic fluid the same ? Thanks Adjusting the throw out bearing solved by MC week side, should of done that allot sooner. Thanks agin for all your help. Mr. B Loraine, NY
Yes - standard hydraulic fluid or automatic transmission fluid is fine. The combination trans/hydraulic fluids is a bit thicker and not great in very cold temps (like Deere standard HyGuard).

Do you actually live in Lorraine? I've got land next door in Worth Center -but all Worth mail goes to the Lorraine post office.

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:35 pm

I don't know if i would want to mix atf with 10 weight hyd oil. 10 weight oil should be easy to find and be cheaper than ATF. If any of it is cheap these days.

Just my two cents worth
Snoopy.

Tractor 850
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Tractor 850 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:51 pm

NAPA R&O hydraulic oil is a 10 wt oil and works fine in all of my straight hydraulic systems.
It is not for use in combination hydraulic & transmission systems.
Here it costs about $40.00 for 5 gal.
Dave

JD440IC Ser#445235 W/ #63 Dozer
Ford 850 Ser#55497 W/Wagner Loader

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:31 pm

snoopy wrote:I don't know if i would want to mix atf with 10 weight hyd oil. 10 weight oil should be easy to find and be cheaper than ATF. If any of it is cheap these days.

Just my two cents worth
Snoopy.
Mixing straight 10W non-detergent oil with ATF doesn't hurt a thing. The ATF simply has wet-clutch friction modifiers and EP additives - and therefore costs more. They both are around 10W, both petroleum based, and both non-foaming.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:47 am

I would not use ATF as hyd oil, it is not worth it. I get a couple hundred PSI deop just using a Hygard type product, I would guess you will get more with ATF. The small cam pumps on these crawlers seem to be sensitive to the type of oil you run. The larger crank driven pumps may be more tolerant, but I still won't run it in them either.
Lavoy

Mr. B
40C crawler
40C crawler

MC fluids

Post by Mr. B » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Yes, to the person who asked me if I lived in Lorraine, NY Rt 189. It is Ironic that I originaly bought the MC from down the road and she has made a circle and came back home. I thought hydraulic oil was probaly the same as 10 weight. I know some of the additives in the fancy stuff can eat seals. I stopped and looked at a 650 this afternoon but will try and be pateint and wait for a 450. I thought the MC was John Deeres first dozen but seeing the date on the photo that there was other versions first. We have a old tractor show in Adams NY during the summer and plan on repainting and decaling so will be contacting Lavoy as soon as I get some of my honey du projects out of the way. Took a ride and we still have 3 feet of snow on the woodland trails. Thanks for eveyones input Mr. B

jdemaris

Re: MC fluids

Post by jdemaris » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:43 pm

Mr. B wrote:Yes, to the person who asked me if I lived in Lorraine, NY Rt 189. It is Ironic that I originaly bought the MC from down the road and she has made a circle and came back home. I thought hydraulic oil was probaly the same as 10 weight.
There's no standard rule as to what viscosity hydraulic oil is other than being non-foaming. It all depends on the temps in the climate you're going to use it. Most oils sold as "hydraulic oil will be 10W or 20w. Even the combo oils, e.g. Deere Hyguard comes in several weights and are sold as summer-grade or winter-grade. No one oil works perfect in all temps unless it's synthetic - which comes close.

About your area - the farm (or ex-farm) next to my hunting land has a pile of old Deere crawlers - many look like they haven't run in years. Bice Brothers - on Bice Road. They don't seem to care about selling anything though.