First Loader: 440 ICD

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
CAR
430 crawler
430 crawler

First Loader: 440 ICD

Post by CAR » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:44 pm

I'm a rookie to the forum, and to to the crawler world. I have just brought home my first crawler, a '60' 440 ICD loader. I found it in Dalton, GA. I live between Atlanta and Greenville, S.C. The father of a freind of mine owned it, unfortunatly he passed about five years ago. The loader had not run in about six years. My freind was looking for someone to pull it out of the barn it was parked in and scrap it. I advised him of what he had and that he should sell it. He offered it to me at a price I could'nt refuse.

We went to Dalton with a truck and a trailer, and I couldn't believe that in 2 hours I had it fired up and running. We drove it on the trailer and headed home. I have some pics.

That is not my son, it is the son of my wifes buisness partner. We were rolling and he loved it. I have two daughters in college.

This is the left side sprocket.

This is the right side sprocket. I know the left side is gone, what percent would you say the right side is? I know nothing about the U.C.

This is a lever to left of the shifter, is this a high/low gear?

I am going to use it to do some clearing and then take it down and rebuild the whole unit. It does have some problems, but I'll not burden you all with those right now. This is a great forum and I look forward to picking your brains. Thanks for letting me join the club.

Craig

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:53 pm

The lever is the PTO lever.
The one srocket it trash, the other side harder to tell. It kind of looks like it is thin sideways from rubbing on the back roller, but it is hard to tell.
Lavoy

CAR
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by CAR » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:32 am

Thanks Lavoy,
Are sprockets hard to come by, or can I rebuild this one? If the roller is rubbing on the one sprocket how do I prevent any further damage, and what should the width measuremnet of the sprocket be? It also is hard to crank, it a takes a shot of ether even when it has run for a while.
Craig

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:57 am

Those sprockets are obsolete from all sources, used is your only hope, and that is not much better. I think I have one decent set, and one thin set left, that is it.
Make sure you have a good battery and cables, and that the starter is good so it spins as fast as possible. Barring that, you could be down on compression some. Most of them will be a pig when cold, but should start hot.
Check the bearings in the final drive, if the sprocket is rubbing, then the bearings are out, fix it before using it any more.
Lavoy