2010 Steering Clutch Fiber Discs

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
robotmaker
420 crawler
420 crawler

2010 Steering Clutch Fiber Discs

Post by robotmaker » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:40 am

Just tore down the right side steering clutch due to it being stuck and NO amount of adjusting and a gallon of paint thinner was going to get it UNstuck. After ripping the clutch pack apart, I can see why it was stuck. The rust was so thick on them I don't know how they EVER worked. My question here is, the fiber discs don't appear to be that bad. They are not glazed nor tore up and the geared part near the center is still very much intact. I do see a small lip just inboard of the teeth, but it can't be more than 0.050" deep and it is not on all eight of them. Do you think I can use these over again? I know they are not that expensive but I hate to spend money on this if I don't have to. I was thinking about just a light sanding on them before the re-install?
Thanks for any input.
rj

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:39 pm

my 1010 left final was the same way,looked like something under the ocean.....one solid mass of rust.
I would just replace everything now that it is apart,fiber disc,metal disc,brake band,pressure plate,throwout bearing,oil seal and anything else not right.
I know it gets expensive quick but having to take it back apart again is just a huge waste of time.....do it right once.
lavoy should have all the parts you need,he is great to deal with.....alot cheaper than deere too!!
1010 loader

jdemaris

Re: 2010 Steering Clutch Fiber Discs

Post by jdemaris » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:30 pm

robotmaker wrote: . Do you think I can use these over again? I know they are not that expensive but I hate to spend money on this if I don't have to. I was thinking about just a light sanding on them before the re-install?
Thanks for any input.
rj
Deere gives the thickness specs for checking the 8 fiber disks. If you have them dried out, and they measure within the range, and the drive-splines are pretty-much perfect - they are fine to re-use. Same goes for the 7 or 8 steels - if not warped, scored, or thin, they are fine. Pressure-plate is a different thing. Besides the clutch-surface needing to be good - the springs need have proper tension. If you can't get new springs, or test the old ones, you might want to use a new pressure plate. Not worth taking a chance on.

In regard to laquer thinner - we used to use it - but NOT to free up stuck clutches. We used it to stop oil-soaked clutches from slipping.