Serial Number Location for 2010

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
robotmaker
420 crawler
420 crawler

Serial Number Location for 2010

Post by robotmaker » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:51 am

I must need stronger glasses or something but I could swear I saw the serial number on this JD 2010 at one point in the time I have owned it. Now, I am finding out that the serial number I THOUGHT it was, is not. I have also searched both the parts book and the service manual and neither one points to it's location. Where is this information on this unit so I can get the right parts?
thanks
rj

jdemaris

Re: Serial Number Location for 2010

Post by jdemaris » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:40 am

robotmaker wrote:I must need stronger glasses or something but I could swear I saw the serial number on this JD 2010 at one point in the time I have owned it. Now, I am finding out that the serial number I THOUGHT it was, is not. I have also searched both the parts book and the service manual and neither one points to it's location. Where is this information on this unit so I can get the right parts?
thanks
rj
As I recall -1010s and 2010s had the machine serial numbers riveted to the engine block - not on the tractor. Attachments added - e.g. backhoes, loaders, rippers, etc. can have their own tags.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:01 am

Early crawlers have the tag on the RH front side of the engine block, later crawlers have it on the LH side of the bellhousing.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:18 am

RJ-

If your 2010 is an early model, you'll have to be a little careful and check to see whether the engine is original. My early S/N 2010 had the original diesel engine replaced with one from an ag tractor or combine. Thus, I can't go by a serial number on my machine.

The parts manual is a valuable resource as you can see whether the serial number range matters or not for the part you need. Also, many of the larger parts are stamped with their own parts number so you can cross reference that way.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

robotmaker
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by robotmaker » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:28 pm

I am beginning to think that something has been replaced here. I have no clue if this is the original diesel engine or not....well I have one clue, I have found that the rear sprockets have the part numbers from a pre-42000 crawler, but when I did record the serial number back when I got it, it was 42139. I have not found anything yet that belongs to a 42000+ on it as of last night. I am beginning to hate the fact that I purchased the service manual now as I am finding out how much stuff is REALLY wrong and out of specification or just plum wore out. My father in law asked me when I would have it back up and running again... my reply to him was --- "When I run out of money !"
rj