2010 crawler not running

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
eastie58
MC crawler
MC crawler

2010 crawler not running

Post by eastie58 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:55 pm

i have bought a 2010 crawler 4 cylinder diesel that will not run it has been setting for about 10 years ,there is not much compression as i can turn thngine over by hand easily ,my question is are there any engine kits available for these old machines, also ive looked for an engine number but was unable to find one ,is there a place they hide them thanks tim in ny

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:24 pm

No kits available, you have to piece them together, and not a cheap deal.
Lavoy

RANDY Fay
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by RANDY Fay » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:15 am

Just a thought-- did you pull valve cover and check for stuck valves--this is common if an eng has set that long--Randy

jdemaris

Re: 2010 crawler not running

Post by jdemaris » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:19 am

eastie58 wrote:i have bought a 2010 crawler 4 cylinder diesel that will not run it has been setting for about 10 years ,there is not much compression as i can turn thngine over by hand easily ,my question is are there any engine kits available for these old machines, also ive looked for an engine number but was unable to find one ,is there a place they hide them thanks tim in ny
If that crawler has sat for ten years - and you have plans on making a user out of - a few suggestions. Besides the obvious - like finding out why it has no compression - time alone can almost guarantee that #1 the sleeves will let coolant leak into the engine oil, and #2 the pellathane-plastic dampener-retainer-ring in the fuel-injection pump governor will be falling apart. It's quite likely the pump won't work anyway - if it dried out while sitting. The fuel metering-valve sits near the top of the injection pump and it is often the first thing to get dry and stuck when a machine has sat for a long time.

If you want to be certain - they both can be checked without a major tear-down. But - unless this thing ran perfect when parked 10 years ago - and had recent work at that time - you are going to have problems.

Someone with knowledge can pull the injection pump and fix in a hour bench-time and $50 in parts. Resealing the engine ought to mean pulling the head and the sleeve-deck - and resealing all.

In regard to your compression - if your rocker arms do seem to be moving - and you want to narrow things down - you can do this. Remove the glow-plugs. Then, one cylinder at a time -squirt some motor-oil in the hole, spin it over a bit, and then check compression on that cylinder. If the compression comes up with the addition of oil - you've got piston/ring/sleeve problems. If the oil makes no difference - you've got valve problems. But - if the valves are already closing -it's a moot point since it all has to come apart anyway.

If you don't have tools to check compression - there are some Chinese diesel compression kits for sale on Ebay - all the time. They come with all the glow-plug adapters, gauge, etc. and sell for around $20 which is an incredible bargain.

eastie58
MC crawler
MC crawler

2010 no start

Post by eastie58 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:10 pm

thanks to them that replied to post , i am planning on refurbishing this old dozer more then likely wont get much use after completion, the wife said i was getting old and cenile and now she can add crazy also ,