420C Clutch/ Steering Problems

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
blackb23
MC crawler
MC crawler

420C Clutch/ Steering Problems

Post by blackb23 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:53 am

Hello all,

Well, I have been taking my sweet time fixing my crawler. Primarily because I have no idea what I am doing.

But, thanks to lavoy having all the missing pieces available I have made some serious progress. The crawler would not turn. I rebuilt the clutches and put them back in.

Hooray, it turns, but only right and not left. The left side is really loose and I don't think the clutches are disengaging. I had to replace a large portion of the mechanical linkages for clutch and brake on this side.

My big question. I bought a linkage from lavoy that connects the steering lever to the throwout. Could I have put it in and just left it too long (it is adjustable). It seems that shortening it would do the trick and bring the throwout farther out and fully disengage the clutch.

The only other adjustment I can think of is the pressure plate. I am a poor man and I only replaced the necessary items. I suppose I need to get lavoy's guage and make sure that I did not over tighten the plate?

On a side note. I finally got to drive this thing since even with just turning right you can eventually get going the right direction. THIS IS THE MOST FUN I HAVE EVER HAD DRIVING ANYTHING. I was grinning from ear to ear. My wife thinks I am nuts.

Thanks for any insight,
Mike
Mike
JD 420c Crawler Loader

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:55 pm

You're not nuts, though the wife probably will be now that she has a hubby into crawlers.

There is a bolt with a 1/2" head accessible through the round plug in top of the clutch housing that you loosen and move the throwout bearing to touch the clutch fingers.