More reverser dilemma

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
tuney443
440 crawler
440 crawler

More reverser dilemma

Post by tuney443 » Mon May 05, 2008 8:26 pm

Need some advise from the very best before I go split my machine apart.I can not send my reverser lever on my 440ICD forward enough for either the reverser to engage forward mode or to get to the adjusting mechanism.I had Jac come over and lend me a hand for advise this afternoon for the adjustment procedure but we could not do it because that adjusting pin would not slide back far enough.We each put slight pressure on it together prying through the hole and using the lever, but that lever only goes app. in the straight up position and no more.

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by jac » Tue May 06, 2008 7:04 am

Let me add some more information. I went over to look at tuney's machine. Nice machine and in pretty good shape. The reverser is acting up. You can snap the level into the reverse position and the machine will move as intended. This indicates that the reverser is intact and not replaced by a simple drive sharft. You can also move the reverser lever to about the neutral position. When you look inside the access port you can not see the adjustment ring for the front clutch pack. The reverser level will not snap into the forward position so my GUESS is that the adjustment ring can not be seen until you get the linkage into the forward position???? I would check my machine but it is not local right now.

I adjusted the front clutches on my reverser and had no problems but that is as far as I went on the reverser since mine was operational.

Suggestions??? Front clutches adjusted too tight maybe?

Toivo1037
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Toivo1037 » Tue May 06, 2008 7:51 am

I don't believe that you actually need to get it snapped into forward to see the adjustment ring. With a block on the tractor clutch peddle, and the reverser in the neutral position, you should be able to rotate the entire clutch pack with a bar. On one of the 3 sides, you will find the small button. Mine was a little froze up when I first started messing with it, and it took a decent rap with a hammer on the pry bar to pop it loose. Once I did that it moved in/out quite freely. (I adjust my rear clutch with my hand, not a bar, but I can't reach the front one, so a bar is necessary.)

Now the handle not snapping in may be one of a couple things. It could be that your clutch is so far out of adjustment, that the handle is not dogging over. This can be done in both directions too, you could either have a floppy handle, where the clutch is backed off way too far, and also could be tightened up way too much where the handle it so tight that you push on it and it engages the clutch, but won't do over and snap in. I would think that someone adjusted the clutch quite wrong to have either of these situations though, and if no one was adjusting your clutches, it likely is another problem though.

Now, the other thing that it could be, is that one (likely mover) of your thrust washers is extremely wore out, or just not there. That was my problem, and it sounds like mine was doing the same thing as yours. I had my reverser 'rebuilt' by a dealer that said that they knew what they were doing, but in actually what I got was an old used up differential, with wore out bearings, and paper thin thrust washers, and then they 'forgot' to put the thrust washers on the outside of the diff. In reality, I had less then the thickness of one stock washer, instead of 4 full depth ones. The result was that my reverser would snap into reverse, but forward would not work. As I pushed the lever forward, the tractor would move, but no matter how I adjusted the front clutch, I just could not get it to snap in. (I have a whole thread going on the subject)

I am supposed to get my spider axle support from the machine shop later this week, and after that I will begin the assembly procedure. I have the whole ordeal documented with photos, and will post up here when done.

That is what I can think of with my limited knowledge on the subject, maybe someone else has more insight.
JD 440 Crawler w/loader
JD 310c TLB

tuney443
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tuney443 » Tue May 06, 2008 5:10 pm

Toivo---I can very easily move the entire assembly by hand,but like Jac and I said,that adjustment pin is not lined up in the center of the access hole.
Found the skull to the mastodon in Hyde Park, youngest one ever found so far in the world in 2000.

JD35D midi exc.
JD410G TLB
JD450D Dozer
2 JD 440 track loaders
JD 420 track loader
JD 450C track loader

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue May 06, 2008 5:54 pm

When you rotate it around, it should come into view.
Lavoy

john lewis
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by john lewis » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:31 am

im new to this but i have a 440 plus a 831 loader and because of the big mount for loader, u cant seem to see it looking straight in try geting into a possition to look in at an angle with a light check out 440ic slow to get moving and somebody sent a pic and marked spot where it is.