Buying parts from Crrawler Heaven

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
carolina crawler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by carolina crawler » Sat May 10, 2008 4:08 am

In the past, ,when asking crawler heaven for parts, I was told to always Call the phone before 7am, as Ed will be out in the fields after that...the lady told me that they have allot of Q+A emails and its very hard to run a small buisness and have a life,and get back to everyone......I just dont think that they thought so many people would be inquiring about old parts for these machines.....I wouldnt give up on them..,be patient......Mark Cc
1978 350b loader w/winch

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by jac » Sat May 10, 2008 3:42 pm

I bought some parts from Ed. He is sometimes tough to contact but I received all the parts and they were as he described.

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Sat May 10, 2008 8:32 pm

I know first hand how easy it is to get overwhelmed running a small business. In my case I use my equipement to make a living, so being paitent isn't an option. When something breaks down I need running again as soon as possible. I can't wait days for a return call or email or weeks for a part to be shipped.

Not responding calls and just blowing people off seems to be c common practice these days. That's how I got into excavation, I used to do just logging and run a sawmill and hire my dirt work out. After guys just not showing up I started to aquire the equipment to do my own work, since we then had the machinery branching out into excavation contracting was a natural step. In my adds we state "we return all calls, and we actually show up and do your job." A lot of people are amazed that we really do.

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Sun May 11, 2008 8:06 am

townlineterry wrote: Not responding calls and just blowing people off seems to be c common practice these days. That's how I got into excavation, I used to do just logging and run a sawmill and hire my dirt work out. After guys just not showing up I started to aquire the equipment to do my own
Yes, things have changed a lot just over the past 20-30 years.

I acquired a lot of heavy equipment over the years for exactly the same reasons. I live in rural area where many people don't have single careers or jobs. Some do many things - i.e. "anything for a buck." For a long time (still do), I ran a tractor repair shop and did most repair work as nights - or bad-weather days - especially in the winter. Daytime, inbetween working at several Deere dealerships and injection pump shops - I got involved in hardwood logging and/or construction. Either building new houses - or restoring old ones. 'I'd sometimes buy an old house with wooded property - log it off, then restore the house and sell all. When doing so - I did all the work - plumbing, wiring, septic, truss building, etc. The ONLY thing I ever hired out for - was excavation. Was not worth the bother and expense of owning heavy equipment, truck and trailer to move it, etc. But, over the years - people in the excavation business became more and more unreliable. So, I started buying machines for one job or another. Sometimes the purchase price of one small dozer or hoe paid for itself after a few jobs. This whole mentality balooned a bit when I started building cabins far from home. I've got land in the New York Adirondack mountains where I build cabins - and finally had to buy a Ford backhoe and leave it up there after many "no-shows" from local diggers. Just recently, I bought land to develop in northern Michigan - and bought a dozer and hoe to leave there. It kind of never ends - but these older machines have always paid for themselves. If I was hiring out to do other people's digging - the old machines probably would not cut it. When you are required to show up on schedule, you can't be fooing with frequent repairs on old equipment. Also can get in big trouble fast with any small oil leaks.

At present, I've got six wheeled backhoes, two hoes on tracks, six dozers, two crawler loaders, etc. Seems silly - but it works well for me. I can do just about any job I want, whenever I want - and no longer depend on anybody to not show up for a job they were hired for.

Biggest hurdle now - for me is trucking. Up to recently, it was easy to hire someone to move a big dozer for $2 a loaded mile. No more. Now I have to beg - and hope somebody will eventually show up - and most charge by the hour now - NOT by the loaded mile. Last quote I got to move one dozer was $125 per hour. So, I'm trucking anything under 6 tons myself.

To my surprise though - I was just given a long-distance trucking quote on a big rig - max. load of 80,000 lbs. - of $2 per loaded mile for a 1000 mile loaded trip. That is pretty cheap in today's market.

Dave Holt
420 crawler
420 crawler

Crawler Heaven

Post by Dave Holt » Wed May 14, 2008 6:36 am

Finally received my shifter cover on tuesday. Took two weeks . The girl said she would ship it the day after I ordered it. After several calls to them with no answer, I finally got to talk to her after a week and a half. She said it was right in front of her on the table and she would then send it right out. Thats what she said two weeks ago?? They must have been looking for the rustiest one they had because that is what they sent. Usable but much work was need to free up the forks. Must have been in a swamp. I will be looking elsewhere next time. Service was NG. Part was pretty much junk. Hope they can get there act together when they move.
Dave

Bret4207
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Bret4207 » Sun May 18, 2008 4:33 pm

I dealt with Ed on a 40C and a 1010C rebuild. Good service once I got hold of him.

joe420c
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by joe420c » Tue May 27, 2008 7:03 pm

I have purchased many new and used parts from Ed. I have had him pin and bush tracks also. His prices are fair and he is honest. Usually he is in the yard working so it may take a day for him to get back to you. I always go to him first for my parts.