420 Hood Removal Puzzle

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

420 Hood Removal Puzzle

Post by DiggerLarry » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:00 am

For you guys with 40Cs or 420Cs with a JD90 loader.....

The crossmember on the loader seems to be in the way. How do you get the hood off without removing the muffler? How do you get the muffler off without removing the hood. Am I missing something on these? Please share your solution to the puzzle or modifications I can make (no holes in the hood, please) to make this easier.

Thanks,

Digger

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:31 pm

On a 40, it will be tough, on a 420 if you have the short stub exhaust pipe, and then the muffler goes over that, then it is easy to remove the muffler.
We usually put the loader in the air, and clamp a heavy piece of angle iron on the ram so that it can't fall down if someone hits the lever.
Lavoy

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:52 am

Lavoy wrote:on a 420 if you have the short stub exhaust pipe, Lavoy
Lavoy,

I don't have the short pipe on my 420. It has a homemade stainless exhaust system, including the muffler, on it currently. Do you have the short pipe in stock? Would I be just as well off to cut the stainless pipe above the hood to make my own? If so, do I need the flange in the top end of the pipe for the muffler to bolt to? I have not bought a new muffler but was assuming the 420 muffler was the made similar to the 40 with the flange to mount it.

Thanks for the advise,
Digger
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:24 am

If your straight pipe will be above the hood, then you can probably reuse it, if not, I have the adapters on hand.
The early 420's used the flanged muffler like the M/40, but it is not obsolete. The later style muffler just clamps on to the adapter pipe.
I have mufflers on hand as well.
lavoy