440 IC Surging

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
bent
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 IC Surging

Post by bent » Tue May 20, 2008 9:47 am

It seems like I only get to work on my crawler once a year based on previous posts. I'm still working on 440 IC and have now got to this point: rebuilt carb, new manifold, all new ignition, rebuilt head. I got it running yesterday, starts good, sound okay but it "surges". I checked the governor and throttle linkages, they are set correctly, what next? Inside the governor? If so are these parts still available?

Thanks

Brent

jdemaris

Re: 440 IC Surging

Post by jdemaris » Tue May 20, 2008 10:29 am

bent wrote:It seems like I only get to work on my crawler once a year based on previous posts. I'm still working on 440 IC and have now got to this point: rebuilt carb, new manifold, all new ignition, rebuilt head. I got it running yesterday, starts good, sound okay but it "surges". I checked the governor and throttle linkages, they are set correctly, what next? Inside the governor? If so are these parts still available?

Thanks

Brent
I don't have a good answer, but I'm curious to see how you wind up fixing it. I've got a 1963 Ford 4000 - with a four-cylinder 172 c.i. gas engine that does exactly the same thing. I pulled the governor all apart and there is nothing wrong with it. Same with the carb. It surges only under no-load - as soon as I work it hard - it smooths out.

Deere had service bulletins back early 60s about updating some external governor springs to fix surging problems on late 50s two-cylinder tractors - but I don't remember the details.

bent
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by bent » Tue May 20, 2008 11:32 am

I remember another time I worked on an AR tractor, and it did exactly the same thing, surge, the culprit was a broken, then welded governor spring, or no-longer a spring. I read about this on YT so I replaced that one, then it ran perfect. Anyway, I will post results.

Brent

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue May 20, 2008 2:15 pm

On a Dubuque two cylinder, most of the time it will be a plugged circuit in the carb. Don't know how many I have had do this, and it was always the carb. Occasionally it was a bad throttle shaft that had a cheesy repair, but usually a plugged port or orifice somewhere.
Lavoy

bent
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by bent » Tue May 20, 2008 4:17 pm

I guess I should have just bought new carb

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue May 20, 2008 4:51 pm

I would tear yours down again and check it over. Are you soaking it in an actual carb solvent, the kind that takes the skin off your fingers? Pull all of the jets, and then spray down through them with aerosol carb cleaner with the little hose on and make sure every hole gets spray out of it. I had one carb that looked squeaky clean, but when I sprayed down the one jet hole, one of the passages below it did not spray out. I had to get in the opening with a dental pick to finally dislodge the rust particle blocking it.
Lavoy

bent
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by bent » Wed May 21, 2008 1:54 pm

I will try that. Lavoy, the carb went to a very well-known carb rebuiding shop, in gm, 2 cyl, etc, but I am pretty sure warranty from carb shop is off by now, I have been reluctant to take it apart. Anyway now I broke the adjusting rod on the governor so I have to find that before I can do anymore. Maybe next year?

Brent

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

carb surging

Post by pop pop » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:49 pm

we had a 420 tractor doing something of the same,,, seams the linkage and spring was worn along with the worn hole,,, was all loose enough to allow carb to vary , it was a simple fix.