JD 440 ICD Steering Problems

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

JD 440 ICD Steering Problems

Post by jac » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:50 am

The 440 loader I have will not steer, at all, but when you pull on the steering levels the brakes appear to work and the engine will start to stall. Looking in the steering housing from the top access plates it is apparent that everything is heavily rusted, which may also include the pressure pressure plates ,etc. Levels are very tight. Looks like water got in over time. I am thinking this may be the reason why the machine will not steer, everything is rusted and locked up. Has anyone tried soaking or cleaning the steering parts while installed, to try and free them up? Obviously do not want to use oil, but how about some form of rust remover or petrolium distillate? I could soak and then drain the cleaner. Thinking of ways to try and get this to steer without complete dissassembly. If I can get rid of the rust, it may steer??

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:21 pm

Any bandaid fixes are basically a waste of time. The only way to free up rusted discs is total disassembly. Even if they will free up, there are going to be other problems in there that are not fixable from the outside.
Lavoy

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by jac » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:46 pm

Lavoy: Thanks for the information. Just need to figure out how to get this into my garage to work on it. Will not steer in either direction so will have to get creative to turn it. I think this is my winter project!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:00 pm

If it has street pads, you will find that it does not take a lot of push to pivot one on hard ground. A 4WD pickup or small tractor will probably turn it enough to get it on the shop.
Lavoy

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by jac » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:49 am

Lavoy: thanks for the information. It is on grass right now so I think I will drive it on some plywood, hook my JD tractor to the bucket, and pull to see if it will slide and turn. If this works, I should be able to steer it into the garage

Do you sell entire clutch "kits". If I go in there to rebuild, might as well replace everything. Added up the parts for both sides (fiber discs, metal discs, pressure plates, bearings, and brake bands) and it is pretty costly.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:20 am

I have steering clutch kits, and final bearing kits. Let me know when you get it apart.
Lavoy