R&R started on my 420-C

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:46 am

If the blade control handle is cast steel I will tig build up the worn parts of the holes with ER70 filler wire , is it is cast iron I am going to braze them up , then drill them out to the same pin diameter . I thought of cleaning up the holes with a 1/2" end mill then pressing in a bushing made from D2 steel but there would not be enough material left around the bushing to guarantee a lasting repair . The Tig filler wire would be soft enough to drill out without any special equipment other than a drill press . It has been too hot and humid to do the repairs for the last couple of days here . Maybe today as I have to weld on one of my trailers . Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:40 am

Last one I did was a 1010, and they were cast iron, I used bronze. I have a cast iron wire for my wire welder that I would likely use the next time.
Lavoy

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:03 pm

Lavoy , did not get to it today , will see what the morning brings . Trailer welding turned out to be a bust as the crossmembers are all shot , will need to build brand new bed for trailer before using it again :( . Gotta love road salt :shock: Thanks for the info . Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:11 am

The work is progressing slowly on the crawler , I brazed the holes shut on the blade control handle and re-drilled them , now it is setting in the box for the machine shop to check the main pivot point for trueness and sized for a new bushing which he will be making . I have some brass rod to make it out of . He will make three of them so when the wear on it gets to much I will be able to replace it .
The throttle lever came off using a "Pittman Arm Puller" and a 3/8" bolt . I did not have to use the puller I built . Heat and pressure did the trick . The instrument panel housing is off and ready to remove the broken bolts and get sandblasted . Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade