420 fiber plates

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:58 pm

Twin Disk makes mostly torque converters and was a division of GM Detroit ,Alliston transmission until Rodger Pensky got it I am not real shure who has Twin disk now .He sold that eight years ago .I know Dana Hays makes some of the larger JD clutch 's for the big articulaters when the early Deeres were made it was all Auburn clutch .Digitup

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:08 am

digitup2 wrote:Twin Disk makes mostly torque converters and was a division of GM Detroit
Twin Disc got its start as the "Twin Disk Clutch Company" in the 1920s and specialized in clutches for farm tractors. The company was created by a guy that worked for Wallis Tractors. Torque converters and power-shift transmissions got added as time went on. Deere used Twin Disc parts and components in many machines.

As far as Auburn goes - it started as Atwood Vacuum Machine Co., then changed to Auburn Clutch, then Dana/Spicer, etc. Deere used a lot of their components as well as others. I've read countless service bulletins from Deere Company over the years as they swapped clutch suppliers back and forth.

In the older machines, besides Auburn, Deere used many clutch and driveline parts from Rockford/Borg-Warner. Rockford was well known for their over-center, locking, adjustable clutches like used in some two-cylinder Deere crawler reversers. I've also come across a few Long clutches in Deere machines.

Some of the Deere two cylinder tractors from the 1930s used Thelander clutches.

From what I've seen, Deere buys from where ever they get the best deal and support - just like most sucessful companies. The only clutches I HAVEN'T found in Deere tractors are those made by Lipe and Hilliard - but I'm not even sure about that. The large clutch assemblies used in Deere 2520s, 3020s, and 4020s look vary similar to Lipe designs.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:14 am

In years past, I have had pressure plates from the two cylinder crawlers that said Auburn-Thelander in the casting. Evidently the two became one company at some time. The whole shebang is now owned by A&I Products.
Lavoy

BLS
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: 420 fiber plates

Post by BLS » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:55 pm

my original post from 2005 has come full circle. i'm now rebuilding a 440, i want to put in the semi metallic fiber discs, i'm looking for a part number if anyone has one or knows of a supplier.

Thank you

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 420 fiber plates

Post by Jim B » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:25 pm

The supplier is easy. Contact Lavoy by email (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com) or phone (701-361-1006 during central time zone business hours). His business provides this site for us to use.