Frozen track adjuster JD 350

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
doug
MC crawler
MC crawler

Frozen track adjuster JD 350

Post by doug » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:53 pm

Recently had new tracks installed, idler rebuilt, replaced worn rollers. The mechanic greased everything but I felt the tracks were too tight so asked to loosen them. One side released fine but the other wont release. Any ideas why it wont slacken?

tuney443
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tuney443 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:50 pm

Because the grease has probably hardened enough that it won't bleed out the hole in the adjusting bolt.If you have a 6 way blade,simply keep the bolt backed out and use a board between the back of your blade and the front of the track to compress the adjusting cylinder some.Go easy--once I shot grease up onto a customers siding doing this.
Found the skull to the mastodon in Hyde Park, youngest one ever found so far in the world in 2000.

JD35D midi exc.
JD410G TLB
JD450D Dozer
2 JD 440 track loaders
JD 420 track loader
JD 450C track loader

jdemaris

Re: Frozen track adjuster JD 350

Post by jdemaris » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:55 pm

doug wrote:Recently had new tracks installed, idler rebuilt, replaced worn rollers. The mechanic greased everything but I felt the tracks were too tight so asked to loosen them. One side released fine but the other wont release. Any ideas why it wont slacken?
As I wrote in response to your other post - sounds like this to me. With the old worn track - the adjuster piston was running way out for a long time and got rusty. That is very common. Then, when you pin and bush, or try to install new tracks - the piston has to be shoved back in. That usually cannot be done unless it gets cleaned off, wire brushed, etc. If you tried to collapse it without doing that - it is likely to be your problem.

jdemaris

One ot her thing . . .

Post by jdemaris » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:01 pm

If the tracks were just off - this probably is not relevant - but . . . 350s sometimes break the stop bolt inside the big shock-absorbing spring that sits behind the adjuster. If that bolt broke, the spring pressure goes against the track - and you'll never get it loose without repairing it.

Seems though if someone was running around with a grease-gun, your track just got pumped too tight and you have a jammed adjuster piston.

doug
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by doug » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:35 pm

If the adjuster piston is jammed, is there a way to unjam it?

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:50 am

doug wrote:If the adjuster piston is jammed, is there a way to unjam it?
Yeah, take it out. That won't be easy with a tight track - but it can be done. Unbolt it from the front idler-fork. Then it can be pulled out - there is nothing else holding it except for the track tension. Then try to pump it apart with a grease gun. We had several that we had to hook to dozers to the assembly - one at each end -and pull. Sometimes they break -but that's just the way it goes.

Adjusters that were run for a long time - all the way out - often get so rusted they are ruined. You'll just have to clean it up and see.

While you're at it, if not done already, you should recut the seal-groove on the piston and update to the 350C style.

doug
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by doug » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:10 am

Thanks for your advise. I'll see how it goes pulling it out.

doug
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by doug » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:42 am

Do you think I can expect sufficient slackening of the track from using the machine. Again these are new tracks.

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:32 pm

Once you get the piston out, if you cannot pump it apart with a grease gun, try pushing it in instead. First clean the rod where it will go into the barrel. Then put it in a 10 or 20 ton press. Be sure to open the relief value! Then see if you can press it in to move just a little to break the grease seal. Then you may be able to pump apart out with a grease gun.

Question for jdemaris: when you pulled pistons apart with two crawlers, how did you hold the rod end? I designed a clamp but it slipped. I was considering drilling a hole through the tube and putting in a pin to pull on. Did you find a better way?
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

doug
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by doug » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:11 pm

What I am wondering is if I do nothing to the adjuster as far as freeing it, can I expect to get 1.5 - 2 inches of slack as the new track wears in?