jd 1010 water in oil please help

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
wohurst
MC crawler
MC crawler

jd 1010 water in oil please help

Post by wohurst » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:05 am

every time I run the engine after a couple of days after I check the oil and the dipstick shows more then full. I drain the oil and some clear water comes out first. I pulled the head and nothing seams to be wrong . where do I look next . Before I put the head back on.Please help. also how do I check the head for cracks??????? John feere 1010 gas 10455

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:37 am

The 1010 is a "sleeve deck" engine and is somewhat prone to leaking around the base of the cylinders. There are a few other posts on here related to this topic and I'm sure no expert but it would seem next place to look is drop the oil pan and look for leakage around the cylinder bases.
Bill Wattson

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:28 am

I agree with Bill. I would drop the oil pan and look for any leaks around the base of the sleeves.
If you don't see any obvious leaks you will have to pull the cylinder head.
Water could be coming from bad head gasket, cracked head :( , cracked liner :( , seals at bottom of liners, or a cracked block.
Good luck. If you happen to need a liner I have one for a 1010 I think.
It is a 3 5/8 bore and in good condition
Hope this helps.
Stretch
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

jdemaris

Re: jd 1010 water in oil please help

Post by jdemaris » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:45 am

wohurst wrote:every time I run the engine after a couple of days after I check the oil and the dipstick shows more then full. I drain the oil and some clear water comes out first. I pulled the head and nothing seams to be wrong . where do I look next . Before I put the head back on.Please help. also how do I check the head for cracks??????? John feere 1010 gas 10455
1010s and 2010s are prone to the sleeves leaking at the bottom. It has nothing to do with them using a sleeve deck. It's all about the only using one black-rubber seal per sleeve.

The next generation engines - as used in 350s, 450s, 1020s, 2020s, etc. also had the exact same problem. But . . . with these later engines Deere came out with an upgrade/repair kit that converts them all to a three seal system. One key to the three-seal systems is the middle orange-colored seal. It is designed to expand as soon as coolant or oil contact it. So, it fills up imperfections.

The 1010/2010 series never got the update. Best you can do is renew the seals with new - and - some people add RTV sealant. I know of several that were done 25 years ago and are still fine.

If you pull the oil pan and look up at the main-bearing cap areas - you will see rust stains where the coolant has probably been leaking for a long time.

If you don't fix it soon, you'll probably spin your main bearings on one of your water-logged start-ups.

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:25 am

I didn't mean that the fact it is a sleeve deck engine makes it prone to leakage. What I meant to explain was that it is a sleeve deck and can leak at the bottom if the gentleman posting the question didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification.
Bill Wattson

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:38 am

wwattson wrote:I didn't mean that the fact it is a sleeve deck engine makes it prone to leakage. What I meant to explain was that it is a sleeve deck and can leak at the bottom if the gentleman posting the question didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification.
Actually, the unusual sleeve-deck design presents an additional area for a potential leak. It was never a degign problem - but does use an extra deck-plate gasket on top in addition to the head gasket.

To a person not used to 1010s/2010s - prebuying parts needed - the additional deck gasket is something that might not come to mind.

The only reason I mentioned the deck is this. Many people, for many years, have condemned 1010s and 2010s as "leakers with sleeve decks."
True they can be leakers, and true - they have sleeve-decks - but one thing has nothing to do with the other. Early 350s and 450s were also chronic leakers.

The #1 problem with sleeve-decks is - nobody ever made them available aftermarket and Deere has been the only source since these machines first came out in 1960. When Deere stops making them (which may have happened already), it makes these machines kind of tough to fix. But, maybe some Chinese company will start making some. There is an outfit in China making oversize 2010 pistons - so it seems they must have something in mind.