frsanford
40C crawler
40C crawler

1959 440 ICD

Post by frsanford » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:45 pm

Hey Lavoy,
Please tell me what I need to do next.
Installed all your steering Discs, Pressure Plates
, Throw out Bearings etc. JD Dealer helped me with setting preload on new bearings seals etc. in both Final Drives.
All back together and both sides adjusted the same....Now when I engage the left steering lever the engine bogs down as it turns. Its ok in 1st, but in 2nd, 3rd and 4th the engine would stall if I let it.
Right side is perfect....
Whats the next step?
Appreciate your help.
Dale

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:44 pm

Dale,
You have a little too much brake on the left brake. I would be that if you look down in the clutch housing as you pull on the steering lever, you will see that the throwout bearing is not moving out immediately. When this is the case, and you adjust the clutch as per factory spec, you will get too much brake as the clutch is not disengaging early enough. There are two fixes, either you can pull the final back off and shorten the linkage to the throwout bearing, or you can just back off the brake application bolt until it no longer bogs down.
Lavoy

frsanford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by frsanford » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:48 am

Lavoy,
Hmmmm difficult choice...pull the final or back off on the brake adjusting nut...guess which one I'm going to do.
Ironically it was this same brake adjusting nut on the brake band that was broken and got me into this project initially!

Thank you for the advise. It is appreciated