1010 Steering Clutch

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
bent
440 crawler
440 crawler

1010 Steering Clutch

Post by bent » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:21 am

I got the LH final drive off my 1010. The release bearing carrier is frozen to the shaft, I think I can deal with that. The disks all came out relatively easily. There does not appear to be any sign of oil soaking but there is alot of rusty, crappy looking stuff. All of the fibres show .151 which is the top of new spec. All of the steels show .96, which is new spec, except one which is really under, so I might replace that one. My question is, can a person clean up the fibres somehow without wrecking them, like say with a piece of emery cloth or stiff wire brush? Also, can the steels be sandblasted without wrecking them?

Thanks
bent
:)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:18 am

Fibers are almost impossible to clean, before I had new ones available I used to use a wire wheel in a grinder, but you can remove some of the disc that way too.
The steels discs shouldn't be hurt with a wire wheel, if you blast them, should probably be a bead blaster to keep from warping.
Lavoy

pjl
MC crawler
MC crawler

cleaning steering clutch disks

Post by pjl » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:52 am

I cleaned my metal and fiber disks both with an orbital sander, using 80 grit paper and a light touch. They cleaned up nice, well, alot better than they were. 20 hrs on them so far, since clean up with no noticeable problems.
PJL