MC Clutch Broke

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Howsomever
MC crawler
MC crawler

MC Clutch Broke

Post by Howsomever » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:46 pm

Everything has been working fine. In the middle of moving some dirt the main clutch would not work. Peddle has spring return but does not disengage the clutch. Only way to change gears is to kill motor shift to the gear you want and start motor. That got me back to the barn. Not good. If I had a boroscope I would pull the starter and have look see. The only thing I can come up with is pull the motor. Am I on the right track?
Not a happy camper...........Wayne-in-Oregon

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:11 am

I had a similiar problem with my MC. It tuned out to be the framework that carries the throwout bearing. A abit of welding and it fixed it right up. The engine is easy to remove if you have someway to support it. I used a backhoe. Had it removed in an hour or so.

Bob in Oregon

rvbarkley
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by rvbarkley » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:20 am

When I replaced the clutch/pressure plate on my MC I sometimes had trouble changing gears especialy if I left the shifter in neutral too long. Seemed as though the clutch would disengage but the transmission would keep turning a little, (increasing RPM"s with time in neutral). Also seemed to be worse if it was pointed up or down a steep grade. I found if I shifted faster and used a little "finesse" it wasn't as big a problem. I would occaisionaly have to shut it off to change gears. Good news is the more I used it the better it got. Hardly ever have a problem now. Don't know about yours but maybe a little use will help??

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:28 am

You may want to check the free travel adjustment. It may have come loose. easier than pulling motor.

Bob in Oregon

Howsomever
MC crawler
MC crawler

MC Clutch Saga

Post by Howsomever » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:13 pm

After removing the engine the problem was obivious. The throw-out mechanism was broken. A PO had welded on it in the past. I am not impressed with the part so I plan to start from scratch. If I figured out posting pics there should be one below of the broken part. About two hours to remove the engine. I ended up removing the lower nose pieces and radiator before pulling the engine.

Bob we are rather close, I'm a mile north of Meacham on Dairy Creek Road.

Wayne-in-Oregon

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:46 pm

That is the same part that broke on mine. I live north of banks off of sellers road. i never removed the radiator when i did mine.

my last repair was replacing the rod bearings last year. I have had my MC since 1979. I bought it in Idaho and had it shipped down. Lots of fun running it.

Bob

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:20 am

rvbarkley wrote:When I replaced the clutch/pressure plate on my MC I sometimes had trouble changing gears especialy if I left the shifter in neutral too long. Seemed as though the clutch would disengage but the transmission would keep turning a little, (increasing RPM"s with time in neutral). Also seemed to be worse if it was pointed up or down a steep grade. I found if I shifted faster and used a little "finesse" it wasn't as big a problem. I would occaisionaly have to shut it off to change gears. Good news is the more I used it the better it got. Hardly ever have a problem now. Don't know about yours but maybe a little use will help??
Your clutch is not fully disengaging. Check that your pedal doesn't have excessive free travel, which would not push the throwout bearing as far as it should.