Stupid Question .........

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Stupid Question .........

Post by Lu47Dan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm

Okay I know this is a stupid question but it has to be asked , Since I have to rebuild both final drives on my 420 , pull the center frame to get the clutch pedal and brake cross shaft freed up , fix the lip that the idler sets on on both sides of the crawler , and repair the one side frame cross member mount (lose rivets) . There won't be many pieces left to remove to do a "good working" restoration on the crawler , so the question is WHY NOT ?
The more I look at it the more I find wrong with it that just needs a "FEW" more parts removed to get to the problem , so I have decided to do the work that needs done to make it reliable to use around here and may to take to a future Pioneer Steam and Gas show http://www.little-mountain.com/pioneer/ . The show grounds are not far from my house .
Anything I should look while tearing the crawler down ? Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:31 am

If you have the inclination to do it, I would say go for it. Check for loose, or broken bolts, bad seals, cracked whatever, replace anything that is only replaceable if you are completely torn down, etc.
Lavoy

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:43 am

Depends on how much work it is to get back to the parts that still have issues. If I took a final drive off and found a cracked clutch housing I would definitely replace that. But I wouldn't start replacing idler bushings because I broke the track to do final drive work, since it doesn't take long to break the track again at a more convenient time.