440 diesel crawler battery

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
BKahler
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 diesel crawler battery

Post by BKahler » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:07 pm

The gasl 440 crawlers had the battery mounted under the fuel tank just in front of the dash assembly. The diesel 440 crawlers had their battery originally mounted on the front of the left fender.

The only reason I can come up with for doing so was the 12 volt battery for the diesel was larger than the 6 volt battery for the gas version.

In this modern world we live in it seems that the newer batteries are much better than they were in the late 50s early 60s. So what I'm wondering is whether I buy an appropriately sized 12 volt battery and mount it under the gas tank like the gas crawlers.

Any thoughts pro or con on this idea?

Thanks!

Brad

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:57 pm

Brad . It seems like several years ago there were pictures on this site of a crawler that burned up because the battery bounced and arced to the bottom of the fuel tank. It would be out of the way but!! Both of my loader /crawlers have the battery box back beside the driver's seat, I can't imagine trying to get a battery in or out with that 831 in the way, I can barely see the reverser down in there. I have had an idle thought or two of mounting the box on the outside of the loader but figured it would be in the way there also. Think I will get some welding cable and make long battery cables out of it like I am doing on my Minne-Moline M5 Diesel. I got a battery the size of the one Dodge used on the 1st gen. (single battery) Cummins.
Bryce
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

BKahler
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by BKahler » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:15 pm

Bryce,

I remember the picture, actually I saved a copy just to remind me these things are not toys.

I just have a plain dozer blade but your comments about access to that area are definitely something to consider. I do have a battery box (needs rework) but it was made for mounting on the fender, common sense would dictate that I use it the way Deere designed :mrgreen:

I haven't been able to find any specs on what size battery is required for the 440ICD. I'm assuming a rather hefty amp hour rating would be fairly beneficial. Like you I plan on using welding cable from the battery to the starter and ground. I managed to buy 300 feet of welding cable at a surplus sale for $20 so I'm all set there!

Thanks for the feedback.

Brad