New 420C owner-newbie needs help

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ejb17
430 crawler
430 crawler

New 420C owner-newbie needs help

Post by ejb17 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:01 pm

Well guys it looks as if I am now the proud owner of 2 420C's. Have numerous questions that only you guys can answer. The previous owner made 1 out of two but the parts machine can definitly be saved. The runner is basically #107xxx with a 62 blade, 5 roller donated from the other machine and the final covers from the parts machine. My question on this one is it is a 4 speed with a reverser-is this correct as I thought only 5 speeds came with reversers? Everything works good with numerous leaks such as valve cover and one lift cylinder. Are parts available to fix the original clylinder? Also is battery box sheet metal available as it can not be fixed? The parts machine is 125xxx with a 5 speed and reverser. He did put the 4 roller under it but never finished it and basically everything is there except the final drive covers. He even through in extra parts he bought including extra steering clutches and plates. The runner had a decent job done on the UC 4 years ago and looks pretty good. The parts machine has a blade but with only one cylinder and it is not on. It looks kind of odd. Its engine was also rebuilt by the original owner as the story goes. So what kind of trouble did I get myself in to? Eric

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:32 am

I would say that was a good find sounds like they are both easy fixers .Sheat metal is easy to find .Some of the Deere dozer blades were made with only one hydraulic ram on the blade lift so that is a common blade configuration for the old Deeres .Several supplyers have kits for the ram on that machine .Lavoy should be able to fix you up with the parts needed for both and answer your questions on 4&5speed tranys .It is always handy to have the extra clutch parts given to you.As long as he didn't tell you You are gona need em !!.Digitup.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:43 am

The reverser was an option on both transmissions. I have some of the battery sheetmetal on hand, short delay to get what I don't.
Local hyd shop might be able to help you on cylinder parts, if it is a 62 blade, I think I have one kit on hand, seems to me like $35, would have to double check.
Great find, half a dozen more, and you will be really having fun.
Lavoy