40C Charging

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Philthytoo
40C crawler
40C crawler

40C Charging

Post by Philthytoo » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:20 pm

Bought a 40C, not running. Turns out the guy had a 12 volt battery in it and had cooked the oil out of the coil. New coil, 6-volt battery, starts right up and runs like a champ but showing no charge. Would that have fried the generator? regulator? or both? Have a Motor's Manual for old cars that has troubleshooting tips for 6-volt systems, but are these internally grounded generators or not?
Thanks, Phil Rennegarbe, Inyokern, Ca.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:29 pm

He probably had everything disconnected, or at the least fried the regulator. I would assume you would need a new regulator at the list, and possibly check the wiring.
Lavoy

Philthytoo
40C crawler
40C crawler

40C Charging

Post by Philthytoo » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:39 pm

He had by-passed the ignition switch, and there were no lights or other accessories on it. I had downloaded a wiring diagram, re-wired the whole tractor to make sure there weren't any shorts to ground, and dis-assembled the original ignition switch, cleaned all the contacts, and re-assembled it, working it into the original wiring from the diagram. If I could figure out how, I'd post a couple pictures of the tractor!
The Motor's book I have has two different methods of polarizing the generator, based on whether or not it's internally or externally grounded.
Thanks for the quick reply!!!
Phil