Newbie brings the 420's Home

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ejb17
430 crawler
430 crawler

Newbie brings the 420's Home

Post by ejb17 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:34 pm

Well we brought home the 420's today and now need some questions answered. Has anyone used the electronic system instead of points/condenser and if you did what do you think? The previous owner also used nuts on the back side of the sprocket bolts and there is clearance but the dowels are not there. Are they available? The seat is trashed so are new seats available from the frame up? Need to call Lavoy about packing kits for the 62 blade cylinders. I found a guy right here in Akron NY that makes wiring harness's for these and that should be an easy fix. Do any of you know about the alternator conversion? It is not charging so I need to determine what that is all about. Everything works but I want to make it more reliable and useful. Have tons of extra steering clutches,1 bull gear, 2 pinion gears etc,etc... not all is great but could be. As for the parts machine it could be saved but may be of more use as a donor with its 5 spd/reverser and 4 roller bottom. It came with an inboard straight blade that some of you may have info on as it does not look to be a JD. Are the rollers rebuildable? Thanks for any help and I will bug you guys with more Quetions-sorry. Oh,are the cross tube rubbers available along with the funky u-bolts? See it happened already. I will try to post pics on show and tell when I figure it out. Eric

ejb17
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ejb17 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:47 pm

Ok last ? for now. Do you guys use the exhaust manifold adapter and muffler or the muffler with the flange welded to it?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:47 pm

For the 420 there is no muffler with the flange as part of it any more. There are vendors that will tell you there is, but they are selling you an MC muffler, and it is not the right muffler.
Lavoy

The Fireman
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by The Fireman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:20 pm

Welcom to the BB,

Not sure on the parts lavoy is where I turn for my 440, however I do have some experiance with the alternator conversion. Now I dont normally convert my equipment because I like things original but on the 440 I was more concerned with having a functional charging system and it was already set up to run on 12 by the previous owner so I decided to go the rest of the way.

I had an alternator off a 92 Nissan pickup truck setting in the shop so one night I decided to see if it could be modified to fit the crawler. To my suprise it bolted right on to the generator bracket and the pulley lined up perfect :) all I had to do was make a longer tensioner out of a piece of flat stock on my milling machine and wire it up with a new key switch out of a John Deere loader. Now I have a crawler that uses a standard JD key and runs and charges great.

Original, no but it didnt require modifying any part of the crawler so I can put the generator back on re do the wirring if I decide I want to restore it some day.