Injector leak

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
SmallTime
420 crawler
420 crawler

Injector leak

Post by SmallTime » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:46 pm

Im finally getting my 1010 back up and running after 2 years apart (dont ask :roll: ) and got it started tonight. The injector nuts were really tough to loosen but I eventually got it bled and running. Problem now is that 3 of them are leaking a little right at the nut. Is there anyway to get this to stop, short of buying new injectors? I dont want to overtighten them as they were very low torque from what I remember.

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:22 pm

Hmmm , I don't know what the end of the line looks like but if it is a cone seal , tapered cone on the line into a cone seat , then the best bet would be to take the nut all the way off and clean the threads lube them slightly and tighten them them back down and see if it stops leaking before replacing the injectors . I had the same problem on my 6.2liter diesel in my '83 GMC pickup truck and that cured the leak . Sometimes the line gets tweaked a little bit and the cone and seat do not align correctly and that can cause a leak . JMTC. Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

SmallTime
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by SmallTime » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:09 pm

Yep, that sounds accurate. Ill try taking them off and clean/reseal them. After thinking about it, the low torque was probably for the actual injectors themselves not the nuts. I could probably get another turn or 2 on them and they may seal afterall. Thanks.

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:42 am

Yeah, you want to take the lines off and be sure the nut rotates freely and the seating surfaces are clean. You do have to make the nuts pretty tight. If they leak, make them tighter yet, as long as you don't break something.