440ic slow to get moving

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
john lewis
430 crawler
430 crawler

440ic slow to get moving

Post by john lewis » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:08 pm

hi im brand new dont know as much about these as a newbie but i bought 1anyways and it was doing everythig great till it started to just sit when u gave gas keep giving gas and it would go in around 10 sec.then work great till u stoped then it would take a few sec. to get it moving then its good, please tell me its an easy fix like add some oil or something easy like that, thanking everybody out there in advance cause im shure ill be looking for a lot of help john

Crawler440
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Crawler440 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:09 pm

Your clutch may be slipping?

lizrad999
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by lizrad999 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:33 am

Almost sounds like the throw out bearing assembly for the clutch is not sliding freely on the shaft. This would be noticable in the clutch pedal as having play in it until the machine starts moving as it should.
But then, I guess it could be the clutch IS slipping too.

What about the reverser? Does it have one? I wonder if that could cause issues?

john lewis
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by john lewis » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:39 am

it does have a reverser im checking on today, clutch feels good im told to check fluid level in trans and revercer but i dont know where can anybody tell me thanks john

lizrad999
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by lizrad999 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:26 am

Per the Service Manual there is an access hole on the right side of the reverser. Fill until the level is between 1/2" and 3/4" below hole.
It says use type "A" transmission fluid.

The Transmission's filler plug is on the right side of the tranny in front of the right final. The drain is on the left. It says use SAE 80. As for how much, I can only assume you would fill to the same level as the reverser.

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:41 pm

Later or "big case" trannys have a dipstick near the front left corner, in front of the PTO control lever.
Bryce
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

john lewis
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by john lewis » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:23 am

hi i found how to check fluids reverser was bone dry i filled it up and found there was a plug missing i order fr john deere put a cork in for now but it doesnt move i see my reverser shaft in reverse is 4and a half inches from dash book say it shoud be 2and a half from dash could it be im not geting forward on reverser i fell it click when i put it in reverse but i dont feel it when i put in forward is there a way to check and see if im in forward on reverser or is there a way to check clutches thanks john

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:52 am

If it does not snap over when you shift it, the clutch is grossly out of adjustment, or something is broken. If the reverser has been run without oil, you may have additional problems as well.
Lavoy

john lewis
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by john lewis » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:43 am

when u say clutch is out of adj.and i look at book it talks about adjusting clutch so there is around 25 lbs pull to put it in reverse or forward on reverser lever mine shows 25 for reverse about 6 for forward but im not shure it is going into forward cause i dont hear it click u say i shoud hear it go into forward, is the reverser the clutch and if so should i try to adj front or back or both clutches from the book it looks easy enough but the book always looks easy, when i look into reverser i dont see no grindings or anything else that looks bad im hoping there is nothing wrong in there also when i push on clutch pedal on floor the rod only pulls out about 1/2 to 1 inch shoud there be more travel then that thanks again john

john lewis
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by john lewis » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:19 pm

i think i found the spot to adj my front clutch that is if it is the spot where u put fluid in but it doesnt look like there is a adjusting nut there that i can see hoping somebody can help before i do something wrong ill call this a later or bigger trany cause the dip stick was in front of lever thanks john

Toivo1037
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Toivo1037 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:13 pm

John, first welcome.
Second, please form sentences, with punctuation, you will receive more help if people can easily read your posts.
Third, I feel your pain, and just went through a reverser rebuild.

It sounds to me like you need to get that front clutch adjusted up properly, and then HOPE you don’t have to go through a full rebuild. Likely what has happened is the thrust washers have been badly worn out. Check the oil to see if you have copper bits in it.

As for adjusting the reverser, you need to learn how it works, and even though your rear clutch seems to be adjusted properly, it is much easier to see how that one works. So crawl under the machine, and on the left side of the reverser, remove the plug. You will find a dial type nut, with a spring pin. You need to depress that pin, and then turn the nut. I can do the rear one with my hand, but need a screwdriver for the front.
The manual outlines the procedure, so I won’t retype it here, but what I suspect is you have not rotated the front clutch to find the location of the pin. (remember you don’t have to do that for the rear clutch, it is already alighted with the inspection hole) Once you have rotated the clutch pack, and then released the main clutch, you will need to do the same as the rear clutch, and depress the small pin, and rotate the notched ring. I do this almost in one motion, by pressing the pin back, and then pushing the ring either up or down at the same time. You will hear the pin snap back into place when the next notch lines up.

Now since a pic is worth a thousand words:
Although you will not be able to see nearly as much of this, you are looking for the small pin between the red paint, which is on the ring. (yours will not will nave the paint) Push that pin right (rearward) and move the ring either up or down. You are probably going to need 2 notches to get it close to proper adjustment.

Get her adjusted up, and keep it full of oil!!

Also, fear not folks, I have been busy but I have gathered all of my pics together, and I am trying to compose my 440 reverser rebuild post.
JD 440 Crawler w/loader
JD 310c TLB

john lewis
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by john lewis » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:26 am

hi want to say thank you to toivo.Your post with pic. very helpfull and i did what u said,it worked ,found adj. ring and push pin, but i dont seem able to push pin and turn ring at the same time .I was wondering if there is a trick,or a knack, or something somebody can tell me to make this easier.thanks again john

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:28 am

That clutch must be disengaged do adjust it, that could be your problem.
Lavoy

john lewis
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by john lewis » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:34 pm

hi its me again i frig and fooled till i got it to turn down. Went 2 notches had nothing,went 2 more notches now i cant get it to go in reverse or even neutral on reverser.Hence i cant disengage the clutch so i can adj it back once again im looking for advice thanks john

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:03 am

IF it is not engaged, it is by definition in neutral. Move the lever slightly untill the pressure is off of the clutch pack, and you will be able to adjust it again.
Lavoy